What alt belt are yall running??

7 minutes ago, tboorn said:

hmm interesting, ill have to see if i can make the 4 rib fit first then as a last dicth effort, id be worried about the cut end fraying, especially since im already have such trouble with any belt once its under load... i shall see

actually most of the guys that have more than 4 alts on their vehicle need to buy 8 ribs and cut them down to 6. It pretty easy to do and if you have a sharp blade its not hard to keep them clean with no frays

1349713160_rte.png

Another vote for the gates green belts.

I used to have supercharged thunderbird and that thing ate belts like it was nothing until someone suggested the gates greens too me, never had a problem again.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

At work I run belt calculations for electric motors.  My concern is that you're eating thru belts.  I expect a belt on an electric motor to run more than 40,000 hours typically, 25,000 in a poor condition.  I would be concerned that something is wrong if you are burning thru multiple brands in such a short time.  Any misalignment?  Have you calculated the different pulley diameter and compared to contact area to determine your new belt length?  We usually spec out Gates belts, btw.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

i had a little concern going into it because i did upgrade to such a large alternator, US Alternators pretty much said this is the absolute biggest i could go and i may still have belt issues from it. Upon installation i checked the alignment the best i could, i got a 2ft long metal ruler, put one end on the front of the alternator pulley, and the other end lined perfectly up with the lager pulley on the motor, thats the easiest/most efficient way i could think to check pulley alignment. As for belt length, the alternator has two mounting posts side by side on the bottom, but only uses one bolt, so i can slide it around a good amount and was able to fit the stock belt on with a lot of room for tensioning after. The second belt i got was a 1/2in shorter but it didnt make a difference in performance. One concern i had, but im not sure if its valid, is that the pulley on the alternator has very deep ribs, it seems much deeper than the belt, and each rib comes to a sharp point, could the ribs being too long begin to cut through the belt? like i said the second belt that failed split right down the middle into 2 2-rib belts. thanks for the replies guys B)

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

and the continental elite snapped, havent even been bumping at all, drove about 5 min on saturday and in the process it failed. honestly it was the most catastrophic failure yet. belt completely ripped up and it seems like parts of the belt melted onto the pulley. What can cause the alt pulley to get so hot? over tension maybe? i got the new HD Fleetrunner on and it didnt squeel right away, hopefully this one works better. the belt is 2in longer but it got it on perfectly. i took some pics of the elite failure. let me know if you have any ideas.

20170319_140723_zpsgsoku51g.jpg

20170319_151111_zpstxugm9wd.jpg

20170319_151117_zpssbrinoew.jpg

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 DD M3b

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Was it slipping? Or on the opposite end of the spectrum: really freaking hot?

it wasnt slipping. It would spueel a little on start up then wouldnt make any noise once driving. But it did get hot really fast i feel. one time right when i started the car after sitting for the night i went to feel the pulley (very stupid in hind sight), i touched the pulley with my finger for a split second after it had been running for maybe 10 sec and it burnt my finger pretty good instantly. not sure if it was from the friction of it spinning so fast or what but it was stupid hot. thats what made me think maybe it was over tensioned. when i put the gates belt on i didnt tighten it quite as much, hopefully it works out better.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

2 DD M3b

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

the pieces that were stuck on the pulley that i took a picture of were like melted on, i had to cut/grind them off...

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

2 DD M3b

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

You might try investing in a belt tension gauge. Cheap and easy "cricket"

Couple other things: Spin the alt by hand, see if the bearings feel bad. You'll know if they are. Make sure the alt pulley isn't loose as well. 

You need to find the source of the heat, it is NOT normal for it to get that hot

If its getting hot then it is friction from slipping. You need to find a way to get more belt wrap.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived