Winston Lithium Vs JY Power Lithium Vs AGM's!!

I could have but it was not the point of this test. If you are curious though a 825amp draw on it will likely bring it down to mid 10s.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

So the winstons are that bad then?

Only reason I was curious is because 2.5 times the price always doesnt equate to 2.5 times the performance.

Things almost never scale that well, so Im willing to bet the winstons are using cheaper cells, and their ah rating is heavily inflated or possibly tested differently.

Good to know

Theyre not bad. They just have a very different purpose. Winstons are Prismatic, low rate cells. They are rated at 3C. (aH * C = amps) continous discharge. The JY's are 10C and 17.5C rated discharge. And use 26650 Cylindrical cells. There is a considerable amount of pack-loss in the JY's though that they are currently working on reducing. And that will reduce cost by about 15% for the end consumer as well. Pack-loss is discharge that is lost within the connections of the modules since there is a lot of current going through them.

In short, the winstons are spot on for their Ah rating. They just are meant for a slower discharge such as solar energry. 

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

K2. (manufacturer of JY's cells) also has low discharge cells for low discharge applications. Rated around 3C i believe. It is called the Energy series. The high discharge is the Power and Ultra Power series. JY is the only place youll find the Ultra Power series. Anywhere else online will only have the Power series.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Bish! Didn't I tell you to include the same draw for both batts!?

Nice test though. I know that took a little while setting up. But the different draws make the data difficult to interpret.

Lithium is here to stay for sure. People were sketched out by caps when they first became popular too. AGM definitely still has its place, but I personally can't see using them anymore. The big knock on lithium is the entry price since it's a pretty good investment from jump if you just want to "try them out". But as entry prices come down and/or tests like these come up... more a and more will convert.

Yeah i thought about it but came to the conclusion it would be a completely unfair test. Lol. You cant please everyone though when it comes to something like this. Which is alright. I tried though. There's more batteries on the way too that manufacturers will be sending in.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Entry price will be coming way way down as soon as Travis gets his 12v 8.55ah single cell modules finished up and to market. He'll be sending me a proto to test once he's got a good proto. Will be the size of 1 45ah 3.3v module.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

The 12v JY cells is likely what I will switch to from the Winstons I have now, but to be honest. I wanted to try the winstons. Just because. I have always planned on getting the 12v JY cells when they are available. 

So far though, taramps HD5000 with a (very rudimentary) clamp of 371amp total draw. I drop to 12.8v with a 240amp singer alt, after about 5 minutes. However, the battery does rebound into the 14s in less than 30 seconds. I'm not 100% what load I'm actually putting on it. 

Whatever it may be. I dig em. 

2017-03-04%2016.31.20_zpspsgfqovg.jpg

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

One thing i found out about the "passive balancing" on the jy's is each cell burns off .5A of current until a certain voltage setpoint. This indirectly balances all cells with each other without use of a BMS. which is sick. All cells are at 3.41v. And i never top or bottom balanced the cells. I had to manually balance my winstons a few times in order to get them all resting the same and it is a process, especially a bottom balance.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Archived