Hertz HSK 165XL for $500 worth it?

moh.vze.com

I'm getting curious and am thinking about trying a set of Hertz HSK 165XL's to see how they compare to my Hybrid Audio 6.5 Clarus setup. Does $500 from an authorized dealer sound about right?

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

One of the better sounding comp sets but I don't think they are worth that much, Just my humble opinion.  You can get much cheaper speakers to sound just as good.  Are you planning on plug and play?  Setting and forgetting?  There would have to be other things at play to have cheaper sound better mind you.....I forget what else you run.....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

9 minutes ago, Karkov said:

One of the better sounding comp sets but I don't think they are worth that much, Just my humble opinion.  You can get much cheaper speakers to sound just as good.  Are you planning on plug and play?  Setting and forgetting?  There would have to be other things at play to have cheaper sound better mind you.....I forget what else you run.....

I'm currently running Hybrid Audio's Clarus 6.5 lineup in my doors. They are very high quality and sound good but my 2x DC Audio XLM2's + DC5K are drowing them with SPL right now.

I also have a pair of HAT Unity's that were suppose to go in the Door Pods that I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Fiberglass-6-5-Plus-1-Super-Tweeter-Speaker-Pod-PAIR-/152118925495?hash=item236afe98b7:g:yNsAAOSwAYtWPmcF

The shipping from this guy is terrible and he hasn't replied any of my messages on the status of the USPS (he went cheap so their is no info).  I was suppose to get the item yesterday but still haven't received anything. I'm giving him a couple more days and might have to cancel the order since it might be 'lost'.

But yeah, I thought about purchasing the discontinued Hertz HSK XL's just to see how they sound. I was gonna put either the HSK XL or the Clarus in the door pods and let the Unity collect dust in my closet.

Other notes...

I got quoted $1349 for the newer MLK1650 components. Too expensive.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

I would try a more powerful quality amp to power them with first before swapping speakers in an attempt to keep up with your sub stage.

Most all quality speakers can handle much more than rated as long as you keep it clean and clip free, and do not run them full range as the excursion can tear surrounds and spiders.

I have given the hertz hsk 165's 250w with only one issue and that was playing full range and ripping the triple joint at the coil former, other than that those things sound amazing and take power very well, the key is quality amplifiers.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

So I thought $499 for the HSK165 XL's were too good to be true so I asked them if they were brand new and never seen power and this was the replied I got:

Good news and bad news. I followed up with my warehouse manager about the XL's and it sounds like they have been used. Now for the good news..... I have 2 BRAND NEW sets of the HERTZ HSK165, and they are on clearance for $399. In my personal opinion the difference is minuscule, same tweeter and crossover, just a slightly different driver. Let me know if I can help!

Aren't most dealer suppose to let us know from the beginning when they are used?

This was the first message I got from them when I asked them if they had the HSK165 XL's and MLK's in stock

We carry most Hertz speakers, The 165xl are discontinued as of last year but it looks like I have a set in my warehouse. They are priced at $499. Are you inquiring about the MLK1650 components? if so those are the current model and they go for $1349 for the set.

Hopefully this helps! let me know if you have any questions!

The dealer is saying the difference between the XL and non-xl is "minuscule"... from what everything I've read on the internet, I've heard the XL's were world difference apart in sounding vs non-xl's.

6 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Some dealers are just like car salesman. Tell u what u wanna hear and push product they carry. Specially push product they're over stocked on, just to get rid of it. 

Should I just buy the used Hertz HSK 165XL for $499? Normally used prices would be more like $350 to $400 on those...

1 hour ago, moh.vze.com said:

Should I just buy the used Hertz HSK 165XL for $499? Normally used prices would be more like $350 to $400 on those...

No.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived