Sonic Electronix

Well as the subject says, I need some guidance in picking out all of the components for my system.  The car is a 1993 Lexus SC400, and while I wan a nice clean stereo that is not the main focus for this car.  The overall plan for this car is a very fast street car, but I want it to have a nice sounding system.  Here are a couple pics of the car when I first picked it up.

IMG_0294%20copy-XL.jpg

IMG_0281%20copy-XL.jpg

For those of you who don't know, these cars have 4" speakers all around (front doors, and rear deck) and a thin 8" sub in the rear deck.  It is easy enough to put in 5.25" or even 6.5" speakers in all of the locations.  The front doors don't seem like a great candidate for 6.5" since so much of the driver will be covered by the door panel.  With that said I am thinking of running 5.25" coax speakers in the front doors, and a single sub.  Currently this is the list of gear I have picked out.

Headunit:  Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS
Sub:  DC Audio Level 1 (10" or 12" depending on space)
Interior Amp:  Rockford Fosgate Punch P300X2
Sub Amp:  Rockford Fosgate Punch P400X1
Interior Speakers:  JL C5-525x Coaxial
Alternator:  Singer 180A
Battery:  XS Power D3400

Nothing is 100% set in stone, and that is why I am here running it past you guys.  For the sub, I am pretty sure I will end up with a 10" in a ported box.  I think I should be able to fit the box in the spare tire well, with the amps (which are the same size :) ) on either side under the stock carpet/floor.  That would be ideal so that everything is hidden, and I don't lose trunk space.  The door speakers is kind of more of the same.  I don't want to go coaxial just because I don't think the aftermarket tweeters would fit in the stock locations, and even if they did I know that is not the ideal location (by the mirrors) regardless.  I like things looking as un-modified as possible in general.  While that usually means spending a lot of time and effort modifying something to achieve that, as I said the stereo is not the main goal of this car.

That was a long first post, so Ill shut up now and listen.  I am really excited to get this project going since I do love systems, and building shit.  Even though this will be small and simple, it will be a nice clean build that I hope sounds equally as impressive.  Lets hear what you all have to say!

Thanks,
Sean

Nice looking car.

I dont know about the 5800 series but i just did a install on the daughters ride using a Pioneer X6800 and found that to be a lot bang for your buck of a HU. Nice control of speakers freq and outputs. Easy to navigate and put out a clean sign at max volume. Well worht the $105 for it.

Speakers: I will always pick components sets over coax. Even a nice 4" comp set would sound better IMO. But if you use the FAST Ring system that will help your coax sound better.

Amps are a budget friendly choice and sub in the proper enclosure will sound good.

Upgraded alt for stronger electrical is always a good idea.

Your plan is sound, equipment will work well, just remember to look into the Fast Ring system for your speakers. These things sell themselves and you won't find a easier or cheaper speaker enhancement system for $25.

Keep us post on what you end up with.

If you could get 6.5 to fit in the doors, this set would be cool to try out. Its a coaxial that can easily be converted to components. So you could move the tweeter if you wanted and could also run it active if you wanted to. Or just keep it simple as a coxial. But having the option to change it up without buying new speakers is cool. 

http://store.12velectronics.com/imagine-i61-2v2-6-5-component-coaxial-speaker-set/

11 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Nice looking car.

I dont know about the 5800 series but i just did a install on the daughters ride using a Pioneer X6800 and found that to be a lot bang for your buck of a HU. Nice control of speakers freq and outputs. Easy to navigate and put out a clean sign at max volume. Well worht the $105 for it.

Speakers: I will always pick components sets over coax. Even a nice 4" comp set would sound better IMO. But if you use the FAST Ring system that will help your coax sound better.

Amps are a budget friendly choice and sub in the proper enclosure will sound good.

Upgraded alt for stronger electrical is always a good idea.

Your plan is sound, equipment will work well, just remember to look into the Fast Ring system for your speakers. These things sell themselves and you won't find a easier or cheaper speaker enhancement system for $25.

Keep us post on what you end up with.

Thanks!  I have always liked these cars, and really lucked out stumbling onto one that was so clean.

The head unit I listed is a double din screen, but it is good to hear good things about Pioneer.  From what I have found it seems like you get the most bang for your buck with Pioneer.  I have mostly used Alpine in the past, but their screens are very expensive in comparison.  Since this isn't a competition build, and is only a weekend car I cant justify the added cost.  If anything  I will add a DSP later if I feel it needs something.

I was planning on using the FAST rings actually!  My issue with going component is mounting the tweeter.  First up I know that you want the tweeter close to the mid for the best sound.  My car like most others with factory components has the tweeter up by the mirrors.  Not the best location, and I would want to put them there to keep them hidden.  Speaking of hidden, I don't think I will be able to fit aftermarket tweeters behind the stock grille anyway.  I had thought about fiber glassing the lower part of the door to hold 6.5" components but again this ins't a car where the stereo is the main priority so I reigned in the plan some.

Trying to keep this system nice, but budget friendly has been hard.  I will look at some bad ass sub, then need a big amp for it, then need better interiors to keep up, and a bigger amp to power those…  I am trying to keep it simple, but sounding as good as possible within my limitations.  Weight is also somewhat of a concern since this car is going to be raced as well.  Obviously no system is best in that regard, but it will be a street car so that isn’t an option.

Looking over my list, and keeping the prices of those items in mind, should anything change?  For example, should I spend $50 more and get some other speakers that are significantly better?  Or don’t use those amps because the signal distorts early.  I know enough about this stuff to be dangerous, so I need some guidance before I spend all this money.  I think I have a good set up picked out, but it could just as easily be complete junk or very mismatched.

8 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

If you could get 6.5 to fit in the doors, this set would be cool to try out. Its a coaxial that can easily be converted to components. So you could move the tweeter if you wanted and could also run it active if you wanted to. Or just keep it simple as a coxial. But having the option to change it up without buying new speakers is cool. 

http://store.12velectronics.com/imagine-i61-2v2-6-5-component-coaxial-speaker-set/

I don’t think 6.5’s would work well in these doors.  Like I said I would do them if I decided to mod the door panel and mount them differently.  The way these doors are 5.25” is about as big as I feel is worthwhile in the stock location.  If I was doing rears, I would do 6.5’s but I don’t plan on running rears.

I have seen a few different convertible speakers, but I think it’s best to pick component or coaxial from the get go.  For example, JL has the C3 series which are convertible, but the C5’s are MUCH better speakers so I would rather just go with them.  Not that all of the convertible speakers are bad.  I just know that I won’t change them after the install.  Unless there is some problem, or it just sounds like complete shit, I won’t be changing things around after the install.

Thank for the replies so far, keep em coming guys!  When I start doing the install I will make a build thread on here as well.

Sean

Glad to hear you plan to use the FAST RINGS. The JL's should give you good sound and as long as you can set your gains properly distortion won't be an issue. Buy and install so you can give us a review of the equipment and set up.

Archived