Second Skin Audio

So I applied a layer of second skin damplifier pro in my 2016 dodge charger trunk. The vibration was suppressed a bit, and sounds great in the cabin. But the trunk lid still rattles pretty bad. I am running one sundown sa-12 in a custom ported box tuned to 32hz at 700 watts from a fosgate prime 1200.1D. I need some advice to tame the rattles. Should I add another layer? Or something else? Any advice or tips would be appreciated thanks in advance.

post some pics of ur system. Chargers?. Maybe put some extra DPro or some kinna cushion between the license plate and its bracket/housing, then secure that tightly. And do the same with mounting the bracket to the vehicle, cusion and fasten it firmly to minimize any rattle. 

The only thing i can think of to lessen the rattle of the actual lid, is to add weight to the lid so it doesnt move as easily/rattles less. You can do that with multiple layers of DPro or someother way u can think of to add weight to the lid. 

Spraying a bunch of "Great Stuff Foam" from HomeDepot and THEN applying double layer of Second Skin Damp Pro really helped me with my trunk lid rattle.

You spray the foam in between the lid gaps but be careful not to over spray or it dents your trunk lid surface. (Not sure if your car has gaps in between the trunk lid panel).

I started with Fat Mat sound deadening in 2010... it was crap stuff and melted on me so I had to remove most of the FatMat years later...
image026-1.jpg

In 2012 I tried Elemental Designs eDead vse1... the foil was so thin it would easily come apart and the adhesive later was super thin.

eDead-vs1e.jpg

And finally, when done right... Second Skin Damp Pro!

You can kinda see the yellow foam in the holes on right and left of my trunk lid in this picture:

second-skin-audio-damp-pro-trunk-lid-201

I like the way the Second Skin Audio Damp Pro looks so I probably won't even put my carpet panel back on the trunk lid.

Not much rattle from the top part of my trunk lid. I was lacking some sound deadening for the rear brake light end of the trunk lid which is probably what was rattling in the video. I didn't want to cover up too many panel gaps because I need the space to replace my brake lights and other stuff when they break. I'll probably go back and cut smaller pieces to deaden that area later in the Summer.

Edited by moh.vze.com
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

10 minutes ago, RJ300 said:

Nice man sounds good. I might try that. I do have a gap in between the trunk lid panel that's pretty big, only problem is it has my brake light harness and access running through it so kinda hard to cover that up.

Here's an older picture - The part with the fat mat stuff you see in this picture is where I didn't apply the great stuff foam because my wiring harnesses are in there. I still need to remove that Fat Mat and sound deaden smaller pieces in that area but I ran out of Damp Pro.

eDead-gaps.jpg

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

11 hours ago, RJ300 said:

Nice man sounds good. I might try that. I do have a gap in between the trunk lid panel that's pretty big, only problem is it has my brake light harness and access running through it so kinda hard to cover that up.

Butyl rope can be used some times in between the bent frame metal and the flimsy sheet metal of the lid. Make sure to get butyl rope or some CCF like Over Kill/Over Kill Pro (be careful with expanding foams, too much expansion may split welds causing more noise) in between the gaps. Post a pic so we can help you fix the issue.

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

11 hours ago, moh.vze.com said:

Spraying a bunch of "Great Stuff Foam" from HomeDepot and THEN applying double layer of Second Skin Damp Pro really helped me with my trunk lid rattle.

You spray the foam in between the lid gaps but be careful not to over spray or it dents your trunk lid surface. (Not sure if your car has gaps in between the trunk lid panel).

I started with Fat Mat sound deadening in 2010... it was crap stuff and melted on me so I had to remove most of the FatMat years later...
image026-1.jpg

In 2012 I tried Elemental Designs eDead vse1... the foil was so thin it would easily come apart and the adhesive later was super thin.

eDead-vs1e.jpg

And finally, when done right... Second Skin Damp Pro!

You can kinda see the yellow foam in the holes on right and left of my trunk lid in this picture:

second-skin-audio-damp-pro-trunk-lid-201

I like the way the Second Skin Audio Damp Pro looks so I probably won't even put my carpet panel back on the trunk lid.

Not much rattle from the top part of my trunk lid. I was lacking some sound deadening for the rear brake light end of the trunk lid which is probably what was rattling in the video. I didn't want to cover up too many panel gaps because I need the space to replace my brake lights and other stuff when they break. I'll probably go back and cut smaller pieces to deaden that area later in the Summer.

Sweet Video....Thanks for the shout out

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png