How much difference is it

How much is the difference between a cheap pos 60 buck pioneer headunit and a $250 deh80prs? The one I have now is pretty basic, no Bluetooth no USB one rca out. The deh80prs has 3 rca outs, a usb, bluetooth, and a bunch of other fancy stuff.but is there something to gain as fAR as sound quality goes? 

imagine moving your bowels, that is your cheap pioneer, now imagine moving your bowels, but rainbows come out instead of excrement. that is the 80PRS. 

Its is a pretty capable, clean HU. I ran 3 of them in the blazer build (they kept breaking,.. the fold down screen is horrible when it gets moving). Its a decent HU, that can do a lot. Maybe to much for some.  Is its the end all be all of HU's? Far from it imho. Some call it the SQ hu out. I disagree.  Very capable, and very clean yes. But......

3 way active, network mode, standard, ... USB files load fast, decent adjustable 16 band EQ, time alingment, nice USB inputs (2 in the rear), RCA ins, even a sd slot, and its clean, at  max vol 62. I never liked the navagation on it, and a few other things with it,....Just my opinion. 

Please, do NOT take this the wrong way, but, if you have little knowledge of going full active, cut offs, slopes, fine tweaking, again i mean nothing against you, but, it COULD be just to much for your needs. We run a WAY WAY cheaper alpine deck in the burban build now, due to the fact it does everything we need it to do, nothing we dont. (we also run a audison bit 10 for processing, so we dont need all that shit the 80prs does anyway).  

Anyway, what i am getting at, is, it MAY be a bit more than you need, and only frustrate you. Just something to keep in mind. Will you install it, doing a direct swap from whatever your using now, and hear a monster difference? I highly doubt it. Just my .02. Again, its a decent HU. One of a select few that can do all the shit it can....... but, if your not going to use 90% of what it is capable of, or dont know how, or what any of it means.... ... well, pointless isnt it?.....

Here is a vid that Derek (BIGDWiz) did some time ago. Great vid. 

Just ask yourself what you want or need your HU to do, and take in some others opinions. I know many, that bought this HU, and dont even use the network mode (active) or many of the other options it has. That is a monster waste where im from. Good luck with your choice.  If your looking to go 3 way active, have some decent tweaking ability, and know what you want, then it is hard to find another HU for the cost. They are found cheap as shit all over these days. Hope this helps at all. Good luck. 

Yea I understand that, guess I'll just keep the simple one cause I don't want to have to mess with all that, I'm pretty good with setting stuff up and understandin how it works bit that sounds like more work so I'm good 

It may sound complicated but if you are planning future upgrades like 3 way active where the tweeters, mids, and subs each have their own amp then this has a lot of bang for the buck. I just got one a while back but haven't installed it yet. I currently have a JVC with single pre out and would have bought the 80prs to begin with but I didn't know what it was at the time. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Hell ya. There is no reason at all one couldnt learn, and use it fully. I just know, there was about 6 months, when it first dropped, me and Eric (strange duck) and a couple other members, where answering 80prs threads from members left and right, that bought one, .... and struggled bad trying to do anything with it, or bought one, and didnt use any of the rad options it has. Thats all i ment. They are found very cheap these days, ... picking one up, and learning, is a very doable thing. And i didnt mean to shit on it. I enjoyed mine when i had it. It ran my entire system. From 20-20k. The usb loaded fast, but i didnt like the navigation. And, with some vibration, the fold down face would cut out really really bad. My first one drove me bat shit, i even ended up breaking something inside. Bought another one, and it did the same after a bit, and i beefed up the dash plate with jb weld, foam and PL glue. I was givin the last one, from a great friend on here, and i "hand mounted" that one. Would sit in my hands/lap for demos, and ran it outside for comps. But, it did run my entire system, with 6 amps, 3 different channels, all active. I loved the adjustable slopes, and kinda liked the preset cut offs. The eq actually worked, and helped a lot. And after a few weeks with it, i could drive, and scroll through the menu, songs, jump drives, with out even looking at the deck. Just knew from memory. It can certainly be learned by anyone for sure. 

I run the 80prs and like it. Like other stated if you plan to run a 3 way active set up ( mid, tweet and sub)  then yes this is the HU for you. If you are running component sets with passive crossovers then you really don't need this HU. I also agree with Kyblack76 that moving through the settings kind of sucks but once you have done it a hundred times you get used to it. I have not had a problem yet with the front face or any other problems so far with my HU. We will see.

I am going to be running mine in standard mode and using the amplifiers crossovers to run a 3 way front active set up with a sub. So only feature I will be using is the T/A which is great BTW. Really moves the sound stage to make it sound like the music is in front of you.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

I may give it a go, Im definitely gonna be doing away with my current 4 6.5s and beefing that up because anything pass 1/4 tilt is just bass at the moment and that's just not gonna work. So with this Hu I can run multiple amps and different settings for each amp? I want be running any crossovers or any of that fancy stuff just speakers and amps and tune it with the Hu and/or amp

Archived