1 hour ago, nkrell11 said:

Tuned in I always wanted an XJ but I ended up with a WJ looking forward to seeing what happens with your jeep.

I checked out your build log, awesome stuff man!  

I love all Jeeps, this XJ is my third, but its the first one I can really do what I want with.  I used to have a '99 WJ and it was a great rig, before that I had a ZJ for a number of years. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I checked out your build log, awesome stuff man!  

I love all Jeeps, this XJ is my third, but its the first one I can really do what I want with.  I used to have a '99 WJ and it was a great rig, before that I had a ZJ for a number of years. 

Thank you very much I greatly appreciate it. Jeep builds have always just been cool to me yours will probably be done before mine.

Now that the doors are done I worked on making the tweeter pods and installing the crossovers.  

For the tweeter pods I used a couple 1.5" PVC pipe caps.  I sanded them down to fit between the dash, A pillar, and windshield as well as possible.  I placed them so they are both pointed right at my dome light between and slightly behind the front seats.

Here is a test fit.

zPH6wUd.jpg

After they fit how I wanted I glued the mounting cups in and sanded everything down. 

0g07ZHx.jpg

I painted them up with some spray on underliner, which kinda gave them a bit of texture.  I think they came out looking pretty decent.  Here is how they look installed.

WX8lwxH.jpg

GFsz2B6.jpg

The driver side crossover I stuck to the firewall under the dash,  the passenger side is behind the glove box, which you can see here.

9H2svyA.jpg

Both crossovers are mounted using to high-strength velcro.  

So far the front speakers are sounding great!  I'll dig out my measurement mic and see how the frequency response looks when I get the time.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

If this is anything like your box builds this should be good!

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I did some work on the factory power wiring.  The stock wire size is really small, 8 gauge at best.  Here you can see how it started out:

giTLGh8.jpg

Where the negative lead grounds to the unibody is really poorly done.  I'm replacing everything with SHCA 4 gauge OFC.  We all know how the audio power cable game works, 4 gauge is really 2 gauge.  I get crimp on ring terminals from Amazon, 10 for $6. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V9UU0A

The hydraulic crimper always gives consistent results:

JVUbibD.jpg

I put some adhesive heat shrink over the crimp, I just didn't take a picture of it.  I've found that if you avoid "car audio" specific products you can get pretty much the same stuff for a lot cheaper.  This is the heat shrink I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F2LG7G2/

For the battery terminals I used these military style ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QRTZR0/

I like them because its easy to bolt ring terminals to them and they don't stick up much where it would be easy for them to short out on something.  I think you get a more solid connection using crimp on terminals vs the battery terminal where you directly insert bare wire.  

Here is the finished upgraded ground wire:

o4SGe1v.jpg

Before I bolted it to the unibody I got in there with the cutoff wheel and ground all the paint away around the bolt hole.  Should have good electrical conductivity now.  After I get everything tightened down I smear some grease on the battery terminals and the unibody ground to prevent corrosion.  I do this on every battery on the farm and I really works well.  It doesn't take much, just a thin layer to block out oxygen, you can hardly see it. 

While I was working, this was the help I had:

qDde5Sh.jpg

Builds:

LOL, dat cat yo   But for real, I am glad you get to enjoy a build of your own.  Still looking good man, keep moving forward.  I know farm season is coming up fast!  Yes, hydro crimpers always consistent results.  =)

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

With the power transmission upgrades done I was able to put my temporary sub setup in.  For the amp I have a SP Audio 1,000 watt amp I got for $60 as a "surprise me" item from the Sundown Yard Sale.  $60 for a 1,000 watts, I'm not going to complain.  

I mounted it under the front passenger seat, where it fits really well:

yNkSyk4.jpg

I spent hours cleaning that carpet and its still super gross.  At this point I can either live with it or tear it all out and replace, I'm going to just live with it for now.  With the floor mats in there I can pretend its not gross and at least I don't have to worry about trashing it any more than it already is.  

For subs right now I'm rocking my Sundown E-10 tapped horn:

5A7UfI7.jpg

I'll probably play around with a couple different subs while I wait to build a dedicated enclosure for this rig.  

Builds:

Archived