I've wanted an XJ for almost 10 years and I just recently was in the position to pick one up.  I got a 1997 with 221k miles, the 4.0 inline six, and auto.  Cost me $2k.  Its exactly what I've been looking for. The plan for this vehicle is to just be my running-around rig.  I would like to do some mild to moderate wheeling with it, and I want something I can do whatever I want with without worrying about practicality much.  I don't have a lot money to put into this so everything is going to be pretty budget focused, but its still a whole lot better than nothing!!!

Anyway, here it is.  Its not much to look at, but I don't see it for what it is, but for what it can be :-)
3LT6gJw.jpg
h2jlv1t.jpg

Looks a bit better under the hood after some effort with the pressure washer.
UtcI2Uu.jpg

The Jeep needs a fair amount of maintenance done to it, along with some mechanical upgrades.  From there I'll get to the audio system work.  First order of business was to get the thing up on the lift.  I had to do some shop Tetris to fit the Jeep along with my tractor into our shop (which is also, apparently, my wife's crossfit gym).  
tw4thGM.jpg

The maintenance issues that needed to be addressed were:
Replace all fluids & filters
Fix hood latch
Rebuild rear brakes
Replace spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor
Replace oil pressure sending unit
Replace rear main seal, oil pan gasket, & valve cover gasket

Here some pictures of some of that work.
Old brakes
1TdG85S.jpg

New brakes
fbDHxQN.jpg

Under the valve cover, a bit sludgy.  I took the pic after I cleaned it up at bit too.
03r0d9v.jpg

I decided it would be easier to clean the carpets with the seats out, they are a bit of a mess.
dFBZzKa.jpg

Unfortunately the front passenger foot well was soaked in water, pulling up the carpet revealed some car cancer.
frF3ttx.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of it, but that mess was wire brushed off, treated with some acid-based rust converted, and then given a couple coats of POR-15 rust preventative paint.  I think the water came in from a leaking plug in the foot well.  It was right were water would get flung in coming off the front tire.  I sealed everything up well so I think this problem should be fixed.  Fortunately nothing had rusted all the way through.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On to the upgrades.  The plan is to run 30x9.5" tires, with a 2" budget lift, and a lunchbox locker in the rear. 

Just got the locker installed in the rear diff, which was a pain in the ass.
i8TlPwx.jpg

Working on the drop shackles for the rear leaf springs, a bit of a difference compared to stock!
h6uEbP0.jpg

Stock
72A5QKh.jpg

New
TIQLZnf.jpg

The front has 2" spacer pucks on top of the stock coil springs, they were also a pain in the ass to install.  I'll add some pics later.  

I'm still waiting for my new shocks, so I can't drive it yet.  Hopefully they will get here soon.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Hell yea man, glad to see a build of yours finally after helping OH SO MANY  people on here.  Love the shop, damn if I only had a shop that could fit a 4WD tractor...jeezuz.....

Love your wife's weight room, hahahahaha

Jeep gonna be killer, you're doing a lot of great thing to it.  If you need anything let me know.  I have audio extras laying around

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

12 minutes ago, Karkov said:

Hell yea man, glad to see a build of yours finally after helping OH SO MANY  people on here.  Love the shop, damn if I only had a shop that could fit a 4WD tractor...jeezuz.....

Love your wife's weight room, hahahahaha

Jeep gonna be killer, you're doing a lot of great thing to it.  If you need anything let me know.  I have audio extras laying around

Thanks man!  I appreciate that!

Builds:

Nice man. Had a 97 XJ for years. It just went and went. I put 2 sets of tires and a battery in it (with services of course) was all in the 7 years I had it  wish I never sold it. Good on ya bro.... go have some fun. 

Now on to the audio system.  This system is going to be for my own listening enjoyment.  Its not going to be any kind of SPL competition setup and I listen to music at relatively modest volume levels compared to many folks around here :-)  I want the system to sound reasonably good and with enough bass to satisfy my inter basshead from time to time.  I'm willing to give up all the cargo area for a sub, but I want to keep the box even with or below the top of the back seat.  So far, here is the plan:
Install head unit
Replace factory front speakers
Add tweeter pods
Sound deaden front doors & roof
Upgrade factory power wiring
Build sub box and install

The plan for a sub is to eventually run a FI Q18 Neo on 2k or so watts.  The audio build is going to be a bit of a slow process.  I'll be working on it as the funds and time become available.  I have some temp subs I can put in there to at least get me some bass until I get the FI.  I'll probably start with a 1,000 watt amp I have sitting around until I can get some power upgrades taken care of.

The Jeep didn't have a head unit when I bought it, so I threw my Alpine unit I had in a previous vehicle in there.  I have a set of Polk 6.5" 2-way components speakers that I had bought for an earlier Jeep and never got around to installing them so I'm going to put them in the doors.  Since I'm tearing into the doors anyway I figured this would be a good time to do some sound deadening.  I haven't done this before, so it may not look real pretty:

Factory setup
pjE7iv7.jpg

Dirty!
3vTplCP.jpg

All cleaned up
kknz2Pl.jpg

Deadener on the outer door skins
wSpIqr1.jpg

Inner door skins
fyUf7mA.jpg

Closed cell foam installed
ey4IbY0.jpg

For deadener I used Noico 80 mil butyl stuff and Noico closed cell foam from Amazon.  Its made in Russia, so that means its good right? :-)  I'm sure its not the best, but it has decent reviews and the price was right.  At least its no Peel-&-Seal!

The difference the deadener and foam made was not subtle.  I haven't driven it yet, but the door speakers sound MUCH better!

Builds:

Congratulations on the new ride! I wish my garage was tall enough for a lift. I thought about putting a two post on a slab beside the garage. You are off to a good start with the lift, locker, and doors. That would have taken me about 3 months. lol the 18 will be nice and I was wondering if it is going to be a T line? Tuned in!

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

1 hour ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Congratulations on the new ride! I wish my garage was tall enough for a lift. I thought about putting a two post on a slab beside the garage. You are off to a good start with the lift, locker, and doors. That would have taken me about 3 months. lol the 18 will be nice and I was wondering if it is going to be a T line? Tuned in!

The center post lift is nice, I feel fortunate to have it!  Its old and its slow, but it sure makes a lot of things easier.

I don't think I'm going to have room for a T-line, lol.  The current plan is for a regular ported box, though I have an idea for a little different layout for it.  Previously I was considering using a 15" in something unconventional, like a parallel-tuned 6th order or a horn.  I may still go that direction, we will see.  I've got plenty of time to change my mind.  

Builds:

I washed it off and took some pics to compare how it looks with the lift on it.  I also have my "new" wheels on.  I found a deal for five factory TJ wheels with almost new Cooper 30x9.5" tires for $480, couldn't pass it up.  The allow wheels look a lot better than the half rusted steelies that were on there, IMHO.  I also got rid of the door bumper panels that were starting to fall off anyway.  

TOIePIf.jpg

Builds:

Archived