Electrical problem?

So I just upgraded from a stock ad244 and 1 cs130d to 1 mechman 250 amp alternator,  I'm running two walmart brand batteries nothing special, 1/0 everything, running a 3k amp at 2 ohm on 2 hdc3 18s, I'm dropping to 10.5-11 volts. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just need to fork out some money for some batteries. I'm about to redo the entire build so I would like to figure it out so it'll be solved before I get it rebuilt and walk into another issue

you shouldnt be dropping that low unless your batteries are dead. do you maintain them often? seems counter intuitive but when you run multiple batteries, just the charging from the alt isnt enough to keep them properly charged, having them on a charger over night helps the batts survive longer. secondly is your big 3 done and if so where is everything run to (grounds and what not). are your gains set properly, if youre clipping that eats voltage up

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

On 3/27/2017 at 8:29 PM, Blake21 said:

So I just upgraded from a stock ad244 and 1 cs130d to 1 mechman 250 amp alternator,  I'm running two walmart brand batteries nothing special, 1/0 everything, running a 3k amp at 2 ohm on 2 hdc3 18s, I'm dropping to 10.5-11 volts. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just need to fork out some money for some batteries. I'm about to redo the entire build so I would like to figure it out so it'll be solved before I get it rebuilt and walk into another issue

Something is way wrong.  Wired at 2ohm?, man, you need like 100 amp to supply that. You shouldnt dip into battery much at all. Show me pics of the set up please. A 3k board at 2ohm, needs very very little. .... i feel you have something not right going on with the install.  Even at idle, that alt should give you everything you need. .... no bat reserve needed. 

maybe wrong solder on the lugz

VM-1

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Hertz HSK 165XL

Arc Audio KS 300.2

Linear Power 1002 Full Mods

Fi Audio Q 10s

Sundown Audio Scv 3000

Big 3

XS Power D5100 Juice Box 20AH

Singer Alternator

Sky High Wire

<p>My Ebay feedback. http://feedback.ebay...tab=AllFeedback

Sorry  I'm wI red at 1 ohm,  dropping into 11s. But my 1st battery ground is to body, and block then block to frame, second battery is to frame, alternator has 2 1/0 positive and 1 8 gauge ground,  the ground to amp is bolted to a seat belt mount hole, head unit is grounded to factory harness  ground if that matters

Nevermind I have no ground from block to frame, that's stock. So I have dual 1/0 power from alt to first battery then  8 gauge ground fom alt to block, 1/0 ground to frame and body first battery, 1/0 power from first battery to second battery and 1/0 ground from second battery to frame and 1 1/0 to amp and 1 1/0 ground to amp bolted to body

you need to ditch that 8ga ground on the alt and make it 1/0. ground wires should be the same as positive, always. also, I'd make your amps ground into a frame ground or straight to battery negative, and definitely not a seat belt/body bolt. I think if you change those grounds to better spots, you'll have a much better experience.

another thing to do is make sure gain is set properly. a clipping amp will pull voltage down as it's trying to pull more amperage than it needs to.

Archived