2009 Mercury Mainer HU & Speaker install

My sons GF's "friend" tuned the radio up to loud and blew driver speaker. So after a stern tongue lashing he bought her a new HU and 4 speakers. Plus all the interface controls, ect. He doesn't know how to install anything yet and we where going to solder it up together so he could get some practice. And... It snow 10" in 12 hrs and he does snow removal so now i get to do everything. That's cool i like to any way.

So i think he went cheap and i would have done it differently but he will learn so shop around better in the future or add to the budget.

HU: Boss 

IMG_2827_zpsn82cxnz0.jpg

He paid $100, i know its the GF ride but he drives it a lot so hopefully he happy with it. 

IMG_2828_zpsiakzqmlr.jpg

The wife was cool about me spending time doing the install for them, they are getting married in August. The wife thinks i am nuts for taking on another project but i figure 6 hour install? HU + 4 doors to tear down and put back together.

IMG_2829_zpskmqfczqq.jpg

Time to solder.

I sure love using Tesa tape, makes for a clean look IMO. Parking brake by-pass relay didn't make in the order but will be here in a couple days and i will finish it up then.

IMG_2830_zpsyumkpuod.jpg

This HU claims 80watts x 4 on a 15 amp fuse. but even if it makes 15-20 watts clean it should make the RF 6x8's sound better than stock. And you guys know me... even in a simple install speaker performance and prep is super important so at the very least i had to get some 6x8 FAST RINGS to improve the sound. My son did this on his own, he talked about it then text me he ordered everything. I would have got a different HU, and different speakers. At least some components up front for a little better staging and quality.

IMG_2832_zpsa1dkvdln.jpg

For $50 i think its a budget friendly way to get better sound without spending a ton of time deadening doors. I will review a before and after. The plan was to do the install this weekend but my son will be working the next 6-9 days dealing with this recent dumping of snow. It was getting into the high 30's and nice. Just another false breakup, still winter here! 

Well if this install starts to "snowball" out of control I will understand. LOL

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

NOPE...... lol simple upgrades. We thought about a small 4 channel amp but he didnt want to spring for one. I picked up the FAST RINGS because if i am installing it, improvement is the goal. Never backwards.

The parking brake by-pass switch came in yesterday so i was able to finish up the integration harness. I had to wire it up for all possible options because i have no idea what audio package the Mariner Premier has. I guess i will find out when we do the install.

IMG_2835_zpsi60vqbrv.jpg

IMG_2834_zpsfobbbgcp.jpg

That looks factory. Nice job man.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

4 hours ago, oldsoundguy said:

That looks factory. Nice job man.

Thanks man, i really like using it. It looks good too if you just taped it up in even increments along the harness rather the whole thing like i did. I will try it differently next time.

Sorry for the noob question but what is the parking brake relay for? Tuned in.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

5 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Sorry for the noob question but what is the parking brake relay for? Tuned in.

To watch movies on the go. Not that he is going to be watching movies while driver it's just a by-pass switch you wire into the harness instead of wiring up to parking brake switch.

2009 Mercury Mariner Premier with higher end system but i think all that included was coax front speakers and a sub. But better than nothing to build off of.

IMG_2852_zpsaghhbcyh.jpg

HU & RF Punch speakers.

IMG_2853_zpss1j1rcqo.jpg

Archived