General wiring practices

Well I just got done ripping the old ass alarm/remote start out of my car, and now I have the fun task of fixing all of the chopped up wiring.  I have always been a solder and shrink tube guy, but I have seen that its not really the best practice in a car.  This car will be a high HP street driven/track car, so reliable wiring is a must.  Just curious what method I should use to put this all back together.  They seemed to mostly window the stock wiring, and just wrap the wire around it.  No solder, just some electrical tape on top.  Some of them are kinda close to the connectors too, so whatever I do should be really fun :)  I wonder how hard some of these pins would be to find....  Anyway, kind of a random question but lets hear what you guys think.

Sean

Idk but dont use typical electrical tape, that shit is a mess and starts to unwind after a while and leaves everything sticky. Use tesa tapes. For wire ends ur not going to use just fold a half inch of the end over and slip a peice of adhesive-lined heatshrink on it. So the bare wire end is within the middle of the Shrink tube. Bundle all those unused end together and tesa tape it. 

As for connecting wire to wire techniques....ill leave that issue alone lol 

12 minutes ago, BrokeEF said:

Well I just got done ripping the old ass alarm/remote start out of my car, and now I have the fun task of fixing all of the chopped up wiring.  I have always been a solder and shrink tube guy, but I have seen that its not really the best practice in a car.  This car will be a high HP street driven/track car, so reliable wiring is a must.  Just curious what method I should use to put this all back together.  They seemed to mostly window the stock wiring, and just wrap the wire around it.  No solder, just some electrical tape on top.  Some of them are kinda close to the connectors too, so whatever I do should be really fun :)  I wonder how hard some of these pins would be to find....  Anyway, kind of a random question but lets hear what you guys think.

Sean

use ring terminals/lugs on wire ends and put an appropriately sized bolt through both eyelets to connect.

If you're splicing into existing wiring:

Strip back 1/2" or so of insulation
Wrap the wire around the existing wire
Solder
Tape with Super 33+

I've been doing that for 30 years now without one single failure.  My books show all of the correct methods and good practices - https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/wiring-and-efi-conversion-books/ 

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

duct tape.

J/K What Snafu said ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

6 minutes ago, snafu said:

If you're splicing into existing wiring:

Strip back 1/2" or so of insulation
Wrap the wire around the existing wire
Solder
Tape with Super 33+

I've been doing that for 30 years now without one single failure.  My books show all of the correct methods and good practices - https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/wiring-and-efi-conversion-books/ 

The only person you absolutely have to listen to is this man right here. Also, buy that book. If you have questions like that its your new bible.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

OK, I may need to clarify a bit here.  I am removing (and not replacing) and existing alarm wiring.  So they have already windowed factory wiring, and also cut factory wiring.  I am mostly trying to figure the best method for connecting two straight pieces of wire end to end.

Thank you,
Sean

Dang. What type of car are we working with here ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

1 minute ago, White Lightning said:

Dang. What type of car are we working with here ???

1993 Lexus SC400.  Alarm was a Viper V60 that was installed in 97 I believe.  It never worked since I got the car, and the other day I had to charge the battery since it died from sitting and it started going off.  That is when I found out it had three horns!  It also had 4 under dash switches, one of which finally allowed me to start the car after pressing it twice with the key on.  Yeah, the alarm had to go :)

Sean

Archived