Second Skin Audio

Best 2 8's on Kicker vx750.1

Glweek

Ive been running a single 10 and its just not doing it for me SPL although SC is pretty good. In the past 6 months ive gone through mtx 5500, Kenwood KFC-xw, Kaption SPL1000, And now a JLw3v3. I paid $20 - $75 for any of these and still have all of them but intend to sell them soon. NONE WITH CUSTOM BOX just a prefab sealed in spec of manufacturer. Yes i know i should have put these into a ported box then made my decision but didn't so thats that. I can't imagine the sizable difference that im looking for by just changing to a ported box. With the money i get from selling all of these id like to buy a set of 8's.

I have a Kicker vx750.1 and am looking for two 8's to match it with as I always have stuff in my trunk and need the space. Im looking for them to get loud and sound decent. My budget is honestly as cheap as I can within reason. I will also be building a ported box to spec for them but have no experience with the calculations so a recommendation on where i can get box designs would help as well. Im not a "bandwagon" kind of person and really don't car about brand, just wan't to get the best for my money. Also only looking for people with comparison's with the products. I don't care that you have them and like them...what other 8's are you comparing them to?

Sundown e8 V5 - 300 rms 81.0 sensitivity (105 ea)

American Bass VFL-8 - 300 rms - 88.27 sensitivity - (110 ea)

Incriminator I-8 - 300 rms - 85.2 sensitivity - (105 ea) 

These seem to be the most regarded in the price range but im new to this whole thing so open to other options as well! id like to keep it closer to the 100 ea point and am not looking to buy a new amp as funds won't allow it. If something is really THAT much better and costs a little more let me know.  Also if i sound like a complete idiot thats cool to just let me know whats on your mind as you probably have more experience than me and im more than willing to entertain any INTELLIGENT recommendations and comments.

Just an FYI there are no VS. threads allowed here. If it were me I would run a single 12" ported over dual 8's. the Sundown E12 will work in 1.75 ported enclosure, which is just bigger than what 2x8's would be. the 12's will give better low end extension, probably louder, and more efficient.

Welcome, what's your vehicle? IA is used very little on here but the others are fine, and as said you could go for a single 12" a single driver costs less than two of the same line and the box size between the two options is only about half a cube. 

I'll second Joe X's recommendation of running a single 12" vs two 8"s, assuming the dimensions of your space will allow it.  8" and smaller subs are for when nothing larger will fit.  

FYI, sensitivity ratings on car audio subwoofers mean pretty much nothing.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Those Sundown E series subs are no joke for an entry level sub. I can vouch for those.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

6 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

Just an FYI there are no VS. threads allowed here. If it were me I would run a single 12" ported over dual 8's. the Sundown E12 will work in 1.75 ported enclosure, which is just bigger than what 2x8's would be. the 12's will give better low end extension, probably louder, and more efficient.

So you can't ask for peoples opinions on different products here? I thought that's why we have forums. You ask questions about things you don't know and get opinions from people with experience. Not here to break rules but confused; how else am I supposed to get opinions directly pertaining to the products I'm interested in? Not a hostile response just don't know how to go about it otherwise.

6 hours ago, Joe X said:

Welcome, what's your vehicle? IA is used very little on here but the others are fine, and as said you could go for a single 12" a single driver costs less than two of the same line and the box size between the two options is only about half a cube. 

Car is a bone stock, minus audio and big 3, 97 civic hx coupe (avg 43 mgp ahhhh yeahh).

Honestly never even thought of one 12, am just so unhappy with "one" of something 2 of anything must be better right?! Haha. A single 12 has 13in^2 more than 2 8's which is a plus. How will response time of the 12 sound compared to the 8's I HATE "lag" (not sure what its called in the audio world) and figures the bigger the slower which is also another reason I was leaning towards the 8's.

49 minutes ago, Glweek said:

So you can't ask for peoples opinions on different products here? I thought that's why we have forums. You ask questions about things you don't know and get opinions from people with experience. Not here to break rules but confused; how else am I supposed to get opinions directly pertaining to the products I'm interested in? Not a hostile response just don't know how to go about it otherwise.

Car is a bone stock, minus audio and big 3, 97 civic hx coupe (avg 43 mgp ahhhh yeahh).

Honestly never even thought of one 12, am just so unhappy with "one" of something 2 of anything must be better right?! Haha. A single 12 has 13in^2 more than 2 8's which is a plus. How will response time of the 12 sound compared to the 8's I HATE "lag" (not sure what its called in the audio world) and figures the bigger the slower which is also another reason I was leaning towards the 8's.

You can ask people's opinions of things and you can ask for suggestions on what to use and why.  Where things go sour is when people want direct comparisons between two brands and want to know which is "better".  Its a legitimate question, but in most cases there isn't going to be a clear answer and all too often those types of questions just turn into a pissing match, which is really unfortunate. 

As far as the single 12" vs dual 8"s goes, the single 12" actually has more of a cone area advantage that you might think.  This is because subwoofer cones are smaller than their nominal diameter (the cone of a 12" sub is less than 12").  So the 12" sub is going to have around 20% more cone area than two 8"s.  When it comes to response time or "lag" those things actually have NOTHING to do with the size of the sub.  There are plenty of 18" subs that put out VERY tight, responsive bass and there are plenty of small subs (6" or less even) that are slow and sloppy.  How a sub sounds depends on the individual parameters of the sub (other than its size) and the environment that its being used in (specs of the box, etc).  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

12 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

You can ask people's opinions of things and you can ask for suggestions on what to use and why.  Where things go sour is when people want direct comparisons between two brands and want to know which is "better".  Its a legitimate question, but in most cases there isn't going to be a clear answer and all too often those types of questions just turn into a pissing match, which is really unfortunate. 

As far as the single 12" vs dual 8"s goes, the single 12" actually has more of a cone area advantage that you might think.  This is because subwoofer cones are smaller than their nominal diameter (the cone of a 12" sub is less than 12").  So the 12" sub is going to have around 20% more cone area than two 8"s.  When it comes to response time or "lag" those things actually have NOTHING to do with the size of the sub.  There are plenty of 18" subs that put out VERY tight, responsive bass and there are plenty of small subs (6" or less even) that are slow and sloppy.  How a sub sounds depends on the individual parameters of the sub (other than its size) and the environment that its being used in (specs of the box, etc).  

I'm glad Triticum replied before I did. With that being said, that is a very common misconception. You hear a lot of people saying they want to run smaller subs because they're more "SQ" but in reality the size of the cone doesn't really play a huge part in it besides determining how small you can make the enclosure. Bigger subs don't necessarily play lower than smaller subs (another common misconception). In fact, if i'm not getting confused with something else, I believe most smaller subs tend to be peakier than their larger counterparts. Why exactly I couldn't answer. Maybe Triticum could. He has far more knowledge on the subject than I do. 

@Triticum Agricolam Got it, completely understandable ill go about it differently next time thanks for the explanation. Always related response time to woofer size and coil weight...as ignorant as that is; Ill do some reading on the subject. Well now ya'll got me starting from the beginning again. More learning! Thanks again. Any recommendations on books/papers/articles that explain the physics of a subwoofer system? Everything i have found is to basic and "laymanized" to really wrap my head around the concepts. 

Archived