Second Skin Audio

Help, need help with subwoofer enclosure

JoshDR

I am planning on building a sub box for a RX8, but since the trunk is small, my options are limited.

I might use either a single Rockford Fosgate P3 - 10" or 12".

But I've heard about 'port noise' and was wondering if my design would make the noise

I am using 5/8 MDF

The dimensions are in the pic:

box.JPG

Here's a good tip though it's not answering your question. I wouldn't use the RE Box Calculator. It's known to be inaccurate. Look up Torres. You can also use Winisd to plug in your box/driver parameters to generate some graphs that will give you a good idea on how the box will perform. 

4 hours ago, DLHgn said:

Here's a good tip though it's not answering your question. I wouldn't use the RE Box Calculator. It's known to be inaccurate. Look up Torres. You can also use Winisd to plug in your box/driver parameters to generate some graphs that will give you a good idea on how the box will perform. 

Will try it

But, do you have an idea about the 'port noise' ?

I read some forums about it and became skeptical

On 4/17/2017 at 1:00 PM, JoshDR said:

I am planning on building a sub box for a RX8, but since the trunk is small, my options are limited.

I might use either a single Rockford Fosgate P3 - 10" or 12".

But I've heard about 'port noise' and was wondering if my design would make the noise

I am using 5/8 MDF

The dimensions are in the pic:

box.JPG

With about 29 square inches of port area you don't need to worry about port noise with the p312, however the calculator is inaccurate as stated, the real specs of the box you have posted are 1.5 cubic feet net @36.5Hz, pretty off.

19 hours ago, Joe X said:

With about 29 square inches of port area you don't need to worry about port noise with the p312, however the calculator is inaccurate as stated, the real specs of the box you have posted are 1.5 cubic feet net @36.5Hz, pretty off.

Thanks alot, much appreciated

Do you think, I could extend the port length even more for lower tuning frequency ?

Archived