Sonic Electronix

Need your opinion. Bose "Premium" sounds awful to me

Hello,

I'm new to this Forum but I need some opinions and this seems like the place to ask.

Background;

I drove a Ext cab pickup for 20 years with a Alpine head unit, Boston Acoustic 5.25" separates with passive crossovers in doors, Alpine plates in pillars and a 10" Kicker sub in a box behind seat.

Driven by a pair of Nakamichi PA 202's and a Rockford Fosgate Punch 75HD. I loved the sound. Crisp and clean. With the time alignment the sound stage was awesome.

Now;

Just bought my Father's 2004 Yukon Denali with Bose "Premium" UQ7 package and it sounds ... awful to my ears. Muddy and muffled. Loud for sure, just not very good. I should point out that I've never liked the Bose "sound" from my days in home audio so I'm probably biased.

My problem is what to do about it. It's a cavernous space with a lot of speakers. My research finds that the amp puts out weird amp loads and everything is run through it. So ... probably not simple to change anything.

Should I just learn to live with it? What would you do? Or have you done?

I did a search and read some builds but I'm too old (and impatient) to spend the time or to drop the coin to do some monster project.

I know that you don't have to spend huge money to get good sound with the right design.

Hopefully I can learn from you all.

Thanks in advance for your time

2004 GMC Yukon Denali. 

Looking to learn. Always...

Bypass Bose amps and replace the speakers. If possible I wouldn't tie into the factory system at all.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Thank you for your reply.

The problem as I understand it is that you lose all chimes, steering wheel controls etc if you bypass it. I'd rather keep those things functional

2004 GMC Yukon Denali. 

Looking to learn. Always...

There should be a plug in module to retain those functions.  Check metraonline.com

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

My 03 impala had that issue, but honestly, I never missed the chimes.

You can do the Metra kit, but weigh out if it's worth it. You can put a decent system together for only a couple hundred bucks nowadays. 

2007 Pacifica

This is going to be a dumbass motherfucking question - but I have to ask anyways

When everybody talks about their steering wheel controls.. They only mean the media controls, right? It's not like you're losing your cruise control are you?

Nope. There's a wire that goes to the radio harness that contains the signals. Remote interface kits have you tap into this wire and then you have to program each key to a certain function.

I used to have a Sony tape deck with a joystick that works with that jack, would be nice to find one again.

2007 Pacifica

I've learned Bose sucks for car audio and is great for home audio. Just like this Rockford fosgate shit they put in nissans there like 35rms speakers not real Rockford.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

No, they suck for home audio, too. They're above par, but no, not close to the audiophile level they think they are.

2007 Pacifica

Archived