Second Skin Audio

Here's a pair of 12's I called "The Villains". paint themes are meant to look like "The Joker" and "The Penguin" off of Batman. My sons favorite cartoon! :-)

Soundstream T7 baskets, 3 progressive nomex spiders per sub with woven dual ribbon tinsel leads, gold push terminals, non-pressed pulp cones with wide butyl rubber surrounds (my favorite style) Eclipse TC9 motors, 3" 4 layer flat wound aluminum coils, and Genesis caps. I put them in a box with 2.8 cuft because the room was limited, and they were going to see plenty of power... worked out well.

VillainPaint_zpsvselluw6.jpg
JokerPaint_zpshblzjtvz.jpg
PenguinPaint_zpsj7njei2d.jpg
VillainRepair_zpsd9ndcfmi.jpg
VillainSides_zps9ic47oum.jpg
VillainBottoms_zpsi8mijzks.jpg
Penguin_zpsnzoii2bf.jpg
Joker_zpshrrovmm5.jpg
VillainPenguin_zpsx8b03kpe.jpg
VillainJoker_zpszwnotdpy.jpg

Here's Apocalypse. This was a 15" Earthquake HoleeS that had a half blown coil. Decided to turn it into an 18. 3" 8 layer aluminum flatwound coil, 6 linear nomex spiders and dual woven tinsels. LOTS of custom work... you'll see.

ApocalypseMockup_zps1umtnd7s.jpg

This was the initial mockup to see how parts would fit... and, make sure it was going the way I wanted it to.

ApocalypseMockup2_zpspnjui3zo.jpg

So I painted an 18" TI basket in a light metallic blue, and a dark metallic charcoal color... similar to the blue and gray of the cartoon character.

ApocalypsePole_zpsmqxalhta.jpg

got the cone, coil, spiders... all glued up... put in

Apocalypse_zpstvgwqjtz.jpg

Everything clamped and tightening... it was time to figure out the dustcap.

ApocalypseDustCap1_zpsititklxa.jpg

First thought was a nice, simple 4.5" Genesis baby blue cap... but, that just didn't seem to flow with the idea of a Big, Badass 18 named after one of the greatest villains in the MCU.

So, the next idea was...
ApocalypseDustCap3_zpsxspbcb3o.jpg

A custom made flat piston style cap. Hand laid, Black and blue Carbon Fiber, reinforced with 2 layers of Kevlar. With LOTS of polishing required... smh!
ApocalypseDustCap5_zpsptfxem10.jpg
ApocalypseDustCap4_zpss7s2mwpe.jpg

So... that's what ended up on there. Didn't get too many pics of the finished project... but, u get the idea.

ApocalypseComparison_zps2tjht7pr.jpg
ApocalypseDustCap2_zpshm20n4pg.jpg
ApocalypseDustCap6_zpsbtqbzbjj.jpg

Cool stuff man.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Nice work.

How do they all sound ?  Which setup do you prefer ?

I see you like kerfed ports : your enclosures look really great.

Congratulations !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Awesome work! is it hard to find coils that will fit old motors? I would love to get into this but I don't know the ins and outs. tuned in.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

This is awesome work great detail how do u know the box specs for custom subs just queries. Love seeing your work.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Thanks everyone!

22 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

Cool stuff man.  

Thanks for the props.

22 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Yup. Pretty neat. Dig the kid being involved. You've created a young monster. Good stuff man. Keep sharing.....

He absolutely loves them... and, I usually "consult" with him for color ideas and Superhero names on builds... fun to have him involved.

21 hours ago, knowledge said:

awesome work man

Thanks bunches!

17 hours ago, notorious97200 said:

Nice work.

How do they all sound ?  Which setup do you prefer ?

I see you like kerfed ports : your enclosures look really great.

Congratulations !

I've yet to have one sound bad. I HAVE had a few builds where I didnt do a great job on the coil, and had to rebuild it to get the gap and coil height right.

15 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Awesome work! is it hard to find coils that will fit old motors? I would love to get into this but I don't know the ins and outs. tuned in.

Not too hard, no. Fix My Speaker, Ultra, Robot Underground, Springfield Speaker Repair... all have been really helpful in finding the coils I need.

11 hours ago, Ron36 said:

This is awesome work great detail how do u know the box specs for custom subs just queries. Love seeing your work.

Usually I use the Dayton Daps software to figure out the sub TS parameters, and ideal enclosure size, then build from there.

Archived