Sonic Electronix

epicenter install/gain matching

im sure there are answer somewhere in here..but in a hurry..

im installing an epicenter and need to know if i need to turn the control knob all the way up when matching the gain like you do with the volt bass knob..

epicenter is set to 5 volts output but shows 2.5 or so on oscope..so im still having to turn my amp gains up like if it was running off the radio still..

volts go up some when control knob is turned up but the wave goes nuts and cant get a good wave reading..didnt think the epicenter had voltage in the knob...i duno..any help is appreciated .

I don't know any one who uses one. If the scope is going crazy then it is making noise.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

If it's an Epicenter processor only--Knob all the way down, and only turned up a bit at a time for certain songs that lack bass. Epicenter is an ADDITIVE processor meaning it adds information to the signal path below the existing frequencies. Turned all the way up things usually get nutty.

It is not a line driver so it will not increase signal voltage.

Static drops are my bag.

ya..i listen to all kinds of music and Pandora..i figured the epicenter would give me a boost...it sounds ok..ima play with it for a few days and see if its any better.

i now know not to turn it on when playing bass songs..:) 

it came with a 33 htz sub sonic chip in it..my box is tuned at 30, so i got a 20 htz chip...not sure if i should of..it wants to bottom out the subs too much..

thx

6 hours ago, jk13 said:

If it's an Epicenter processor only--Knob all the way down, and only turned up a bit at a time for certain songs that lack bass. Epicenter is an ADDITIVE processor meaning it adds information to the signal path below the existing frequencies. Turned all the way up things usually get nutty.

It is not a line driver so it will not increase signal voltage.

Oh ok. My bad. I misunderstood the description then. Good to know.

4 hours ago, reedal said:

Oh ok. My bad. I misunderstood the description then. Good to know.

It's an old piece that most have never seen or used. I used one to compete in the early 90s when IASCA mandated one song on their disc for everyone to run SPL with that had no bass in it. Raised my scores by 10dB back then but wouldn't do much of anything with today's recordings.

It's been sitting in my toolbox for 22 years now.

Static drops are my bag.

I tried a generic "Bass Processor" a few years ago and while it added the sub bass harmonic, it deleted the mid bass signal that it used and left the song sounding funny because the original bass was gone. Does the Epicenter kill the upper bass to make low bass too?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

15 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

I tried a generic "Bass Processor" a few years ago and while it added the sub bass harmonic, it deleted the mid bass signal that it used and left the song sounding funny because the original bass was gone. Does the Epicenter kill the upper bass to make low bass too?

No, it actually works really well for what it was designed for on recordings with little bass--and it leaves the original information alone. However you can easily turn it too far and end up with muddy droning nasty bursts of speaker death though.

On songs with heavy bass in the recording it usually doesn't do a thing.

AudioControl was truly some of the best equipment of that era and it's no exception. Was a very innovative piece. I still have a few of their pieces lying around.

Static drops are my bag.

Archived