Second Skin Audio

Some help needed please

Pt187

Here's something you can do other than taking out your backseats, if the sub you use is powerful enough you still can get pretty loud, this is removable and some of the backseat space is still available when the sub is in:

IMG_0374.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Joe X said:

Here's something you can do other than taking out your backseats, if the sub you use is powerful enough you still can get pretty loud, this is removable and some of the backseat space is still available when the sub is in:

IMG_0374.jpg

I appreciate it bud. This weekend I'm going to go through and do a bunch of measuring.  I dont want to rip the back seat out even though the wifey is ok with it lol.  Just frustrated right now with this truck and not very happy with the sounds I have. 

22 hours ago, Ron36 said:

Shallow mount subs suck I've tried many different kinds , there only good for rock music . 

Yes most of  them really do suck, too punchy,cant dig low,power compression comes on to quickly ect, the two I've listed though do not sound/perform like that at all, actually you wouldn't be able to tell the rockford were slims in a small sealed box unless you seen it..  Expensive as shit though lol.. The op needs to make a compromise, space or expensive woofers..

20 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

Yes most of  them really do suck, too punchy,cant dig low,power compression comes on to quickly ect, the two I've listed though do not sound/perform like that at all, actually you wouldn't be able to tell the rockford were slims in a small sealed box unless you seen it..  Expensive as shit though lol.. The op needs to make a compromise, space or expensive woofers..

I dont mind spending the money.  This isn't my first system and Im not expecting to be beating down the block for $200.  I just don't want to buy slim subs only to figure out what I already know.  They wont be enough.  Most that hear my truck now say its loud.  Its not for me at all.  When I was 16 my first system was way louder so now 20 years later I can't have a system thats weaker.  I will figure out the plan this weekend.  

ok so hear me out here, i know you said you dont think youll be happy with 6.5" subs.

However, with the dimensions you gave, youll have about 2.12ft3 in volume.

just as an example i looked up the ct sounds meso 6.5" sub.

the total outer diameter is 6.9" (so under the 7" height requirement)

they only require 0.4-0.55cu ft per driver in a ported enclosure

they're dual 2 ohm and 150-200 watts rms each.

so, you could in theory have 4 wired down to 1 ohm, needing ~800 watts rms, in a ported enclosure.  If one of the box gods like JoeX or Triticum could figure that out in their spare time, I think you'd be very surprised at the output you got from the little guys.  more so than your 2 jls.  but not like 4 L7s in a wall.  obviously there are other 6.5" options out there too, as well as maybe squeezing some 8s in there.

Just my $0.02

1 hour ago, Pt187 said:

I dont mind spending the money.  This isn't my first system and Im not expecting to be beating down the block for $200.  I just don't want to buy slim subs only to figure out what I already know.  They wont be enough.  Most that hear my truck now say its loud.  Its not for me at all.  When I was 16 my first system was way louder so now 20 years later I can't have a system thats weaker.  I will figure out the plan this weekend.  

If you can't have a system thats weaker then it pretty much sums it up for you. Time to sacrifice some space lol.  Let me ask you though.. What is loud? What do you/did you have thats good enough for you?

19 minutes ago, bmwking said:

ok so hear me out here, i know you said you dont think youll be happy with 6.5" subs.

However, with the dimensions you gave, youll have about 2.12ft3 in volume.

just as an example i looked up the ct sounds meso 6.5" sub.

the total outer diameter is 6.9" (so under the 7" height requirement)

they only require 0.4-0.55cu ft per driver in a ported enclosure

they're dual 2 ohm and 150-200 watts rms each.

so, you could in theory have 4 wired down to 1 ohm, needing ~800 watts rms, in a ported enclosure.  If one of the box gods like JoeX or Triticum could figure that out in their spare time, I think you'd be very surprised at the output you got from the little guys.  more so than your 2 jls.  but not like 4 L7s in a wall.  obviously there are other 6.5" options out there too, as well as maybe squeezing some 8s in there.

Just my $0.02

wait so the 2.12 is the cubic ft for the dimensions of the box under the seat now?  Sorry I'm terrible when it comes to figuring out cubic ft.  If thats the case I'm wondering if I can build a box under the seat and coming up in the center of them.  Like where it would end right behind my center console now.  If I can get 2.5 cubic ft that way I can throw a sundown 12" and I think that would be loud. 

Ive never head 4 8's and really would hate to do that and not like it 

7 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

If you can't have a system thats weaker then it pretty much sums it up for you. Time to sacrifice some space lol. 

Im totally ok with giving up space.  I just didn't want to do a blow through and cut the bed and cab.  And I really didn't want to lose the back seat completely. Why I was thinking making a center console type box between the seats after modifying the bench

17 minutes ago, Pt187 said:

wait so the 2.12 is the cubic ft for the dimensions of the box under the seat now?  Sorry I'm terrible when it comes to figuring out cubic ft.  If thats the case I'm wondering if I can build a box under the seat and coming up in the center of them.  Like where it would end right behind my center console now.  If I can get 2.5 cubic ft that way I can throw a sundown 12" and I think that would be loud. 

Im totally ok with giving up space.  I just didn't want to do a blow through and cut the bed and cab.  And I really didn't want to lose the back seat completely. Why I was thinking making a center console type box between the seats after modifying the bench

You can get pretty loud off a single 12 now days, not hard to pull low/mid 40's out a truck on music with a single 12 which is loud for what it is imo. A center console or rear bench enclosure fitted with seats would be nice.   

Also, thats a great idea for more airspace! Build a 1 piece under seat + center console enclosure, should be able to fit some cone area up in that.

1 hour ago, Pt187 said:

yeah based on the dimensions you gave and a quick plugin to torres, i came up with 2.12cu ft.  doing an under box and center console combined could possibly allow you to do 2 12s firing opposite each other, and have the ports under the seats.  that's just an idea, not sure how it would actually sound or how overly complicated it might be.  also, the 4 8s idea would likely have to be sealed based on the cubic feet available.  there are some gnarly 8s out there tho

Archived