Second Skin Audio

Some help needed please

Pt187

Hey all.  Ive always had some pretty big systems.  First was 3 12w6 with a phoenix gold zx1000 amp back in 96-98.  Then 6 12w6's.  Last I had a trailblazer ss with 4 15L7 walled and ported that was pretty loud.

Problem now is I have a 2014 silverado crew cab.  I want to keep the factory 8" screen which I have.  I went to a stereo shop I have dealt with for a very long time and they installed some infinity door speakers front and rear with a Jl amp and 2 12w1 with a jl amp.  The amps are I believe the jx series I know cheap beginner stuff along with the subs.  

It hits ok but nothing like what Im used to.  I went back and told them and pretty much got into it with the installer.  He's saying that it is loud and I can't get louder bass with my truck unless I do a blow through.  I thought about doing that but really don't want to cut the truck up like that.  

I have talked to other shops and honestly I am pretty much getting a run around.  Other thing I came up with was cutting the rear bench making it 2 captain seats and having a console type box in between.  

I can't remove the rear seat.  I need 4 seats.  Any ideas or opinions on this?  Can I get a box under the seat for some good subs that will hit hard?  Is making a console going to be the way to go?  What subs should I get?  sorry for all the questions and not sure if this is in the right section.  

I can do the wiring and install on it all I have just never built a box.  Wouldn't even know where to begin.  I would prefer to do the install myself now though as I have time and that way I know exactly what was done.  Im In SoCal also if anyone is local and would like to make a box.  I would pay of course.

thanks for your time 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen people put 10s under a seat firing forward. You might be able to put a lift kit on the seat to give more room. I have heard about builds where the seat bottom is removed and the box top is upholstered and becomes the new seat. There are a few guys here that do this kind of thing a lot, im sure they will chime in.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

5 hours ago, kckrawford said:

I haven't seen the underneath of the seats, but wonder if you could put some 6.5" subs underneath that seat.  You wouldn't need very much room and they would probably do very well.  

I really don't think I will be happy with 6.5 subs.

5 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

I have seen people put 10s under a seat firing forward. You might be able to put a lift kit on the seat to give more room. I have heard about builds where the seat bottom is removed and the box top is upholstered and becomes the new seat. There are a few guys here that do this kind of thing a lot, im sure they will chime in.

Never seen that before.  

5 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

whats the specs of the box? maybe can dind higher power 12's that can fit it or higher powered 10's

Ill get the exact measurements shortly.  I think they are roughly .72 cubic feet for each chamber though.  Mounting depth is the issue.  Right now Im waiting on my upholstery guy to get back in the shop to see if he can cut out the center of rear seat and still be safe.  Knowing how I am I really think having 2-3 12's ported is what I will be happy with.  I like loud.  And I don't want to keep doing this over and over and wasting more money.  I wish I never even touched this damn truck!

http://D925C268-FE43-43C4-A9DA-EF82A4EB7317_zpshttp://image_zpshbtden4b.jpeg   My box is under the seat u have to raise the seat though but it's not a big deal

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I can show more box pics if u want and u well probably have to go with a sealed box no room for ports but shit still gets down. Got just over .5 per chamber

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

11 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

I can show more box pics if u want and u well probably have to go with a sealed box no room for ports but shit still gets down. Got just over .5 per chamber

are those 10's?  what series are those?  How much did you have to raise the seat?  Not worried about anyone kicking them getting into truck?  I could totally see my kids kicking the shit out of them

15 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

sorry just seen your signature.  also I think you having a f150 you have more space under seat to begin with.  I might have to raise my seat  a lot!

SA-10's , raised I think about 2 1/2 to 3 inches, they do make speaker grills but my friends no not to fuck with them, and u have to spray the box with bedliner spray just in case it gets wet . But my visors rattle about 1-2 inches and I love it.

Archived