Sonic Electronix

So i have a hifonics brutus 1100. Sub is an american bass xfl 10 and running 8 gauge all around. Sub isn't getting much power at all and sounds distorted when i turn it up louder. Amp is brand new and isn't in protect. No weird smells or smoke. Hoping i didn't mess it up with the smaller wire. Also the head unit dims and cuts out at mildly high volumes. I was thinking it's the HU taking a shit on me. It's also 95 degrees down here in Florida so maybe the heat did something to it. I probably should've done the big three and 0 gauge to everything. Getting a new car at the end of the month and i don't really see the logic in putting money into something i'm getting rid of. Also thinking about building a new box and inverting it. Any opinions? Thanks!!

You need 4gauge for that amp. 

The HU cuts out at mid-high volumes, I've had that happen to one of the first HU l owned. Old boss single din would shut off if I turned it up too high. 

If you're getting a new car and wanting to move that setup to it I would upgrade the wire and get a different HU. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

Check your voltage... If your amp is dropping into the 10-11's then your stereo could be dropping lower into the 9-10v area. Stock electrical & you'll have some voltage drop off the factory line causing the stereo to also shutoff. Checking voltage at each point will tell you what you need to know.

Check your amp ground. Sounds like it might be using the rcas as a ground through the head unit.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

8 gauge is insufficient wire for that amp....and that wire should have gotten warm, weather you might have noticed or not, something that's not good. Because bigger/thicker/better power wire is needed....whatever that amp accepts, buy some and reinstall it.

I've been to FL 3x now. It's the humidity down there is what causes the hotness....but irrelavant in this situation unless your amp didn't have adequete air circulating the amp.

Installing a big 3 is not a permanent project. If you torture your gear in this car and it blows, well then you need to spend even more when you get a new car. Best to take care of the gear you have so that you don't have to replace it later on.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm