Second Skin Audio

Check my build before I start?

dudeogo

14 hours ago, DLHgn said:

That bracing is pretty low and won't do what you're wanting it to do. 

Well what would you recommend. I don't see too many other places to brace...

Stage 3 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

Amps: Something Brazilian

10 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Isnt it bad to have that thin of a port? 

No, it's 4 inches tall, and it has more than enough total area. The port I know is good.

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

3 hours ago, dudeogo said:

No, it's 4 inches tall, and it has more than enough total area. The port I know is good.

Probably what he is referring to is your port has a really high aspect ratio.  The aspect ratio is the relationship between the width and the height.  In your case its 4" tall by 48" wide, so that a 12:1 aspect ratio.  High ratios are bad because they make the port inefficient.  I try to keep things under 5:1 if possible, and never exceed 8:1.   In your case you are probably fine because of the relatively modest amount of power you are going to be running and you have a pretty healthy amount of port area.  If you ever ran more power though, the port could be an issue.  

As far as bracing goes, I agree with DLHgn, what you have is pretty insufficient.  You are using some pretty big panels and they are going to flex if you don't brace them.  With the size your box is, you pretty much need some kind of brace on every panel, including inside the port.  Here is a thread I started on how bracing strategies to give you some ideas:

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

8 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Probably what he is referring to is your port has a really high aspect ratio.  The aspect ratio is the relationship between the width and the height.  In your case its 4" tall by 48" wide, so that a 12:1 aspect ratio.  High ratios are bad because they make the port inefficient.  I try to keep things under 5:1 if possible, and never exceed 8:1.   In your case you are probably fine because of the relatively modest amount of power you are going to be running and you have a pretty healthy amount of port area.  If you ever ran more power though, the port could be an issue.  

As far as bracing goes, I agree with DLHgn, what you have is pretty insufficient.  You are using some pretty big panels and they are going to flex if you don't brace them.  With the size your box is, you pretty much need some kind of brace on every panel, including inside the port.  Here is a thread I started on how bracing strategies to give you some ideas:

This is my first time dealing with such a huge box. In the past bracing was never much of an issue. If you would like to give me specific things to do with my box I will do my best to integrate those before the build commences. That thread is very educational, however I'm not quite sure what I should do in my box specifically.

At the very least I would suggest adding some shelf bracing or laying the bracing flat with the panels. Just something to help stiffen up the panels. It would be great if you could think of some sort of window brace to make. 

21 minutes ago, DLHgn said:

At the very least I would suggest adding some shelf bracing or laying the bracing flat with the panels. Just something to help stiffen up the panels. It would be great if you could think of some sort of window brace to make. 

Shelf bracing I can definitely do. Maybe a small window? We'll see.

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:
6 hours ago, dudeogo said:

Yah thats what i was talking about, i didnt know the right word for it lol. I knew a tv uses aspect ratio wasnt sure if that was the right word for a port lol.

1 hour ago, 06RTCharger said:

Yah thats what i was talking about, i didnt know the right word for it lol. I knew a tv uses aspect ratio wasnt sure if that was the right word for a port lol.

Well hopefully it's okay for this build because I do not want to change it right now. However I added 9 shelf braces in replacement for the large single brace.

Update: have completely reworked bracing. Added a window brace, 2 45s and 2 shelf braces.

Archived