Sundown Audio

Amplifier inputs 2 Chan vs mono

Gutta Trash

I have a problem, therefore I have a question lol. I am running (2) PPI 5000.1 (1700 RMS @2 Ohm) This was an upgrade from a American Bass Ph4k. I have them run to (2) Re audio sxx 15's. I clearly noticed a difference in output from the woofers I went from a 143 to a 147. The problem is that even though I've had the gains set by scope I am getting "fighting" between the subs which I know is causing cancellation. I didn't have this problem running a single amp. So I'm wondering ... I'm using a stereo input RCA into the 1st out of the 1st and into the second. Would running a Y combiner creating a mono signal stop this? Would I lose input power if I did this? My theory is that my subs are trying to hit as stereo vs. mono and causing the problem, but I'm just guessing. Thanks in advance and by all means don't hesitate to call me an idiot,just so long as you have an answer!

On 4/20/2010 at 10:06 PM, 'cc_audio' said:

Guys are just like girls, once you've had 18 inches you don't go back.

2004 GMC Yukon XL

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS

13 band EQ

Sub Amp- (2) PPI 5000BD.1

(2) Re SXX 15's 8 cu. ft. box tuned to 32 Hz

(4) 6.5 Bose Mids

(2) 1" Bose Tweets

(2) 1.5" Bose Tweets

(1) JY 80 AH w/ new JY busses

(1) Duracell 750 up front 

Apex Alternators 270

A.C. Delco 160 alternato

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely run a Y splitter that way you know you are getting the same signal to both amps. Also what I would recommend is use a multi meter set to AC volts and plug it in to the speaker outputs (you can do this with the speakers connected or disconnected, connected will give a more accurate reading) find a test tone in the frequency your subs play (you want a test tone, like a 50hz constant tone so that the output voltage is nice and steady) and see what the actual voltage is as you progressively turn up the volume at each amp. You said they were set with a scope but if the scope was just used to take both to clipping, they could clip at slightly different power. Set the gains to the lower voltage of the 2 amps if you do find a difference, that way you are not clipping.

If you find that the voltages don't match very well there isn't much that can be done. You can set the voltages equal at the highest level and know they are good for max output. Go back to a mono amp, or a multi amp strappable setup.

Hope that helps

RB

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Thank you for the response!  I actually figured out the problem last night. The signal coming through the passthrough of the 1st amp was clipping quicker. As suggested I ran 2 y splitters and all is well! Thanks again 

On 4/20/2010 at 10:06 PM, 'cc_audio' said:

Guys are just like girls, once you've had 18 inches you don't go back.

2004 GMC Yukon XL

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS

13 band EQ

Sub Amp- (2) PPI 5000BD.1

(2) Re SXX 15's 8 cu. ft. box tuned to 32 Hz

(4) 6.5 Bose Mids

(2) 1" Bose Tweets

(2) 1.5" Bose Tweets

(1) JY 80 AH w/ new JY busses

(1) Duracell 750 up front 

Apex Alternators 270

A.C. Delco 160 alternato