Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Here is a question for your question:

If you played a 10hz square wave vs sine wave into your sub, which one would produce more heat?

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Here is a question for your question:

If you played a 10hz square wave vs sine wave into your sub, which one would produce more heat?

There is more energy under a square wave than a sine wave of the same amplitude.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, snafu said:

There is more energy under a square wave than a sine wave of the same amplitude.

Ok so I am just trying to figure out where the logic for #1 comes from and where it went wrong. A sub coil is cooled by its movement, and moving less would cause more heat, along with more "power under the curve" causing more power to be disapated which can be hard on a coil. So at some high power level and low frequency that would lead us to believe that #1 is true?

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Ok so I am just trying to figure out where the logic for #1 comes from and where it went wrong. A sub coil is cooled by its movement, and moving less would cause more heat, along with more "power under the curve" causing more power to be disapated which can be hard on a coil. So at some high power level and low frequency that would lead us to believe that #1 is true?

I felt like it was more of a "which is more relevant" type question

He said, clipping can damage speakers but why? Imho, it comes down to which is more likely to blow speakers, square waves or overpowering? I can't really blame square waves as plenty of electronic/modern music use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A true square wave would contain twice the energy as a sine wave of the same amplitude (.707^2 = .5).  This would be an excellent place to employ #5.

Hypothesis:  A Square Wave with the same energy as a Sine Wave would generate more heat when reproduced by a speaker.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slowfkncar said:

I felt like it was more of a "which is more relevant" type question

He said, clipping can damage speakers but why? Imho, it comes down to which is more likely to blow speakers, square waves or overpowering? I can't really blame square waves as plenty of electronic/modern music use it.

Sure square waves exist in recorded music but it is over the whole spectrum mixed with a multitude of other waves. The real question is when a driver has to reproduce a signal that is in a very narrow band and the signal is a very low frequency and it is clipped from the source, like the head unit is maxed out. What happens then? Sorry if I assumed the original question was aimed at the subwoofer usage. This is where people are most likely to run into problems.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Sure square waves exist in recorded music but it is over the whole spectrum mixed with a multitude of other waves. The real question is when a driver has to reproduce a signal that is in a very narrow band and the signal is a very low frequency and it is clipped from the source, like the head unit is maxed out. What happens then? Sorry if I assumed the original question was aimed at the subwoofer usage. This is where people are most likely to run into problems.

A subwoofer is a speaker - everything applies.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Sure square waves exist in recorded music but it is over the whole spectrum mixed with a multitude of other waves. The real question is when a driver has to reproduce a signal that is in a very narrow band and the signal is a very low frequency and it is clipped from the source, like the head unit is maxed out. What happens then? Sorry if I assumed the original question was aimed at the subwoofer usage. This is where people are most likely to run into problems.

Signal compression, the amplifier is still doing its job untill you hit hard clipping. As noted above, square waves have more energy vs a sine regardless of source however, you are much more likely to blow a speaker by clipping it with x2 the rated power vs clipping it at its rated power. Its like the old saying, all clipping is distortion but not all distortion is clipping.

*No need to apologize, we are all here to better our engineering skills and for as long as I've been installing i still learn a thing or two at smd everytime.  I appreciate everyone that's willing to teach/learn.

Edited by slowfkncar
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...