CE Auto Electric Supply

If you reduce the poweroutput of your amp, then you're no longer overpowering your speakers

In itself, the idea that overpowering speakers is better than overpowering is false. Exceeding the limits isn't beneficial to the lifetime of the driver

However... The idea behind that is you run less risk of feeding the driver clipped power. Better to have a larger amp feeding it more clean power than a smaller amp giving it a heavily distorted signal from the user trying to squeeze more output from their equipment is capable of.

Edit.. Also.. #6 #6 #6 #6 that's why I love these

Edited by SnowDrifter
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

On 5/27/2017 at 0:58 PM, snafu said:

A true square wave would contain twice the energy as a sine wave of the same amplitude (.707^2 = .5).  This would be an excellent place to employ #5.

Hypothesis:  A Square Wave with the same energy as a Sine Wave would generate more heat when reproduced by a speaker.

On the surface.. The same.

In practice... driver's whose cooling is dependent on forced air due to moment of the driver could experience higher temperatures

But... There's the issue of a driver's inductance and impedance changes as the result of a sine wave vs. a square wave changing the reactive load and apparent power it's seeing. I'm having difficulties finding resources to calculate such and I'm away from my gear I could use to measure it.

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

Better to have a larger amp feeding it more clean power than a smaller amp giving it a heavily distorted signal from the user trying to squeeze more output from their equipment is capable of.

I've recently been enlightened to this notion as I push my amp to its limits and get stinky coils all too often.  Its good to see this topic enter discussion.  Time for a bigger amp!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

A lot of this is over my head and I can't answer.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Let me summarize what you've learned in this thread:

1 - The Laws of Physics govern this hobby.  [No ifs ands or buts.]

2 - Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.  [More than 50% of the information being exchanged by hobbyists as factual is in fact non-factual.]

3 - Learn how to find the correct answer.  [Study hard.  Visit your local library.  Use your resources.]

4 - Become educated.  [Don't be afraid to challenge things you hear in attempt to get to the truth.]

For those of you that took the time to read this thread in its entirety, you are well on your way to Becoming the Expert.  And for that, I salute you.

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

• 3 months later...