Sonic Electronix

Need help piecing together a decent sound system

Hey, guys! I currently have a 2004 Acura TSX w/ navi. I have a mono block amp attached to the rear 6x9s via speaker level input, feeding 2 12s, but potentially a better single 12 in the future. The amp is dying, so I have a used JL Audio 500/1 on the way. It will power the 2 12 inch subs in a prefab (Yes, I know, bad idea with pre-fab, but also the subs aren't that great either. But I mean, this was a "first set-up 2.0" to just hold me off for bigger and better things, after my old set-up got ripped out of my previous car. I got it all for $150, so I am not complaining). I now need to find a way to attach the JL to the stock unit. I was thinking either getting a LC7i or LC2i. I don't know if I will even be doing a 4 channel, but the odds have been bouncing back and forth as I see it becoming more feasible.

A)If I did the LC7i, this would allow me to get a nice 4 channel amp in the future, and also connect it to the JL 500/1.

B)I can also connect the LC2i via 6x9 outputs on the rear deck, and then get something like the JL RD400/4 for the speakers, since it has speaker level inputs.

Both the LC7i, or the 4 channel amp with speaker level inputs will be attached via 9 speed wire to the harness from a PAC AOEM-HON20 to allow my stock amp to still be there for maybe my tweetes, unless I find a good area for my crossovers, and the rear door speakers, if I decide to keep them in there, and add 3-way rear 6x9s instead.

As it stands, is option A or B better?

As for the 3-way rear 6x9 idea. The Stock 6x9s are low frequencies only. However, I was thinking that I could use the output from a 4 channel amp, fed by the door speaker connections via the hacked PAC harness, and purchase 3 way 6x9s. However, this would mean the rear door 6.5s would have no connection on the new 4 channel amp, meaning they would stay on the stock amp. (I currently have JBL GX600C components in the front running off of the stock amp). Is there any way to make it so I can attach the 6 speakers to the 4 channel amp? If not, would it be a better idea to upgrade the 6.5s in the rear door, and leave out my 6x9s? or upgrade to 3-way 6x9s, and leave the door speakers attached to the stock amp?

Thanks for reading this long post!

I have run a LC7 and believe it to be a good product. There are Audio control amps that take high level inputs. Maybe a DSP to run everything? Depending om your budget. Are you happy with the front stage being stock? Normally one would upgrade the front speakers first and leave the rear stock but thats up to you and what your goals for the system to be. I would do some research on DSP to see what your willing to spend. But the LC7 is a solid product, second time i installed it off a stock HU the car chimes came thru the speakers amplified so i had to ditch it and put a new HU which greatly improved the system SQ over stock HU.

Sorry, ,i missed the part you had upgraded front stage. Any idea how many watts the stock amp is putting out?  As for rear stage i would imagine the 6.5 in your rear doors are midrange speakers and if you have 6x9's in the rear deck that is suppose to be your lows. There is a good chance that the stock HU or amp is using some type of freq filters to accomplish that so you would want to tap into a full range signal from the HU preferable before the amp but the LC7 can take a amplified signal to process.

I am sure others will chimed in with different or better opinions. 

1 hour ago, bcbrassard said:

I have run a LC7 and believe it to be a good product. There are Audio control amps that take high level inputs. Maybe a DSP to run everything? Depending om your budget. Are you happy with the front stage being stock? Normally one would upgrade the front speakers first and leave the rear stock but thats up to you and what your goals for the system to be. I would do some research on DSP to see what your willing to spend. But the LC7 is a solid product, second time i installed it off a stock HU the car chimes came thru the speakers amplified so i had to ditch it and put a new HU which greatly improved the system SQ over stock HU.

Sorry, ,i missed the part you had upgraded front stage. Any idea how many watts the stock amp is putting out?  As for rear stage i would imagine the 6.5 in your rear doors are midrange speakers and if you have 6x9's in the rear deck that is suppose to be your lows. There is a good chance that the stock HU or amp is using some type of freq filters to accomplish that so you would want to tap into a full range signal from the HU preferable before the amp but the LC7 can take a amplified signal to process.

I am sure others will chimed in with different or better opinions. 

Yeah, I have heard that the LC7i is great. Sadly, I do not have the option to put a new stock head unit in easily, due to my controls being in the touch screen navi. I would love a DSP, but oh boy is that a lil out of budget. As for connecting the LC7i, the PAC AOEM-HON20 harness goes in pre-stock amp/post head unit, and direct to the LC7i once I cut off the PAC OEM LOC to use only the wires. The rear 6.5s are full range signals, and also 2 way speakers. I can either upgrade those and boost with a 4 channel amp, or I can leave those on the stock amp, and use the 4 channel to the new 6x9s.

Then it sounds like a LC7 is the way to go. Nothing wrong with keeping the stock HU if its loaded with goodies. I would research stock amp wattage output to see how much power they put out. If you know your adding an amp consider powering your front stage with the new amp and maybe rear doors and leave the 6x9s on stock power. Many ways to set it up with that many speakers, but what speakers are closest to your ears? Usually those are the ones you want the loudest and clearest. You can have a great system with the front stage dialed in properly or a loud system. If you know what i mean.

4 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Then it sounds like a LC7 is the way to go. Nothing wrong with keeping the stock HU if its loaded with goodies. I would research stock amp wattage output to see how much power they put out. If you know your adding an amp consider powering your front stage with the new amp and maybe rear doors and leave the 6x9s on stock power. Many ways to set it up with that many speakers, but what speakers are closest to your ears? Usually those are the ones you want the loudest and clearest. You can have a great system with the front stage dialed in properly or a loud system. If you know what i mean.

Yeah, I get you. I was just thinking maybe leave the rear doors stock, and buy 3-way speakers for the rear deck. this way it sounds fuller behind me. Stock 6x9s are currently only mid bass, So I removed them

Archived