[Update 3/18] Another Boring Tahoe Build [SOLD]

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/6/2017 at 5:35 PM, Karkov said:

1%  LMFAO

How is driving at night?  I love it, looks awesome.   would get pulled over so fast around here.  I got a couple tickets for 35% and I normally run 20%  

Haha. I drive it almost every night and morning, it's not too bad. The only issue is bicyclists since they like to hide near my pillars where it's hardest to see them.

I drove by about 10 cops in the last 3 days while I couldn't row the windows down, and no issues.

One of the local campus police stopped me after I exited the vehicle and complimented and started asking me questions lol.

On 10/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, Mr DeeBeez said:

Don't down size. GO ALL OUT! :)

I'm getting a bit tired of the hobby to be honest ?

Definitely gonna be downsizing momentarily. Might get back into it once I graduate.

------------------------------------------------------

So anyways today has been hell with this build!

Started out with trying to fit this damn double din in.

I'm glad I do my own work, because the area behind my din area is such a mess I would feel horrible having anyone else work with it.

5qR03vtl.jpg

To make it fit, we had to cut this steel dash support out of the way.

ROGJPYUl.jpg

v3gKd9ol.jpg

Then to hold the double din in, we modified the old single din kit I had from the 80PRS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-Radio-DASH-KIT-Single-Din-Install-Aftermarket-Stereo-Faceplate-CH483DK-/380459690289?fits=Make%3AChevrolet&hash=item58952a2931:m:mh_3seWIPhPj-bPRFpbrKcA&vxp=mtr

E6OpCPul.jpg

Nice easy bolt on once it was cut apart.

bM48aBvl.jpg

Then we cut out a little cardboard to know how much of the OEM dash needed dremmel'd out.

IGw5Ohvl.jpg

The backup camera (Pioneer BC8) was put right above the license plate

KFAVEBsl.jpg

Vx8eE1dl.jpg

and taaadddaahhh!

s4AOcUdl.jpg

Not too bad. 2 hours and 3/10 frustration.

After the install is where the real annoyances came.

Of course, since it's Pioneer, this HU has it's high channel (network / active mode) limited to 1.2k as the lowest. That was pretty much the big reason I bought it, but I figured a way around it.

In the process I ended up blowing up half of my Q4-120, so now the only way for it to work is with channels 1+2 and 3+4 both bridged. So I've got 4 SSA Evils running @ 1 ohm now, and then the 4 Scanspeaks @ 2 ohm. I wonder how long it'll last.

but my crossovers are finally set how I like them

subwoofer - LPF @ 80hz

Evil 6.5s - 80 - 450hz

Scanspeak - HPF @ 450hz

Sounds muuuuccchhhh better. The whole sound stage really moved up towards the windshield. So I consider it a success.

I'm just really weary of how long that Q4-120 will last running at 1 ohm daily lol. I guess we'll find out.

Decided to get some trunk space back, so it was time for amps to go under the seat

6iIfqADl.jpg

48" long x 13.75" wide sheet of 3/4" birch

clC3kUcl.jpg

Amps fit like a glove.

After about 3 hours of wire management I had my first ever setup where it seems like I semi-care about how the thing looks lol.

viLcB6tl.jpg

IRtpJA6l.jpg

Amps still have plenty of room to breathe!

7fUgZaWl.jpg

I drove for about 2.5 hours today beating on them with the Q4-120 @ 1 ohm and the 2200 @ 0.5 ohms and they weren't even hot.

Hopefully gonna snatch up a single C312 and get to play with a 6th order design here shortly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some new updates for ya!

I thought I was pretty much done with car audio, but you guys know I can't pass up a good deal.

Saw some door panels posted in Richmond IL. They were for a 6.5", 8", and tweeter per door.

Then I asked around and found the guy who had bought all 12 speakers, from the person selling the doors.

So on Thursday I made the 10 hour round trip, and grabbed some new panels and speakers!

YWamyM2.jpg

rGMajDs.jpg

AsEl635.jpg

vsG7SM1.jpg

Some of you may have seen these doors at Slamology, in a 2002 Denali with a C-Pillar.

I had never run any Crossfire products, but SoundQubed didn't have any 6.5s for sale, and doesn't offer 8" speaker grills yet.

So far I am simply blown away by the quality of both the doors, and the speakers.

The video really doesn't do justice for the loudness or quality of everything! I'll try to get a better one eventually.

Right now all 12 speakers are on a single SQ120.4

4 6.5" wired @ 1 ohm on channel 1

4 8" wired @ 1 ohm on channel 2

4 tweets wired @ 1 ohm, bridged on channel 3 + 4

Crossovers are 80hz - 3.15k for the mids, 3.15k+ for tweeters

I have an extra SQ120.4 laying around, but not really sure where I would mount it.

Also have 4 C418s sitting on a shelf, so I might throw one or two of them in here. I'll keep you posted!

9 hours ago, Mr DeeBeez said:

love the doors! And you know you cant walk away from audio ;)

Indeed I did.

Wish I could find a box builder around here to do a 7 cube box for a single C418...under $300

it's literally 7 pieces of wood cut by Home Depot, and 2 holes (aero and sub)

maybe I need to start offering box building services

Archived