[Update 3/18] Another Boring Tahoe Build [SOLD]

Got the little house on the Chevy and made it to Slam and back no problems!

HkfUgNzl.jpg

I gotta say it's super nice having a vehicle with a sound system, and enough room to store stuff. Plus my sister was able to sleep in the 2nd row for the entire drive.

For the 9 hour drive I was babying the subs, since these are the most stiff and new subs I've ever owned (I usually buy very, very used subs).

Today I decided to whip out the meter, and I am completely astounded!

aIJlX3Ul.png

All the work and time spent in that Blazer to do a 150, and here I am in one day basically throwing the entire thing together, on a STOCK alternator, doing almost that.

Evidently HDC318s like 8 cubes each with subs up port up lol.

It seems to have a wide bandwidth too.

Stock alternator, only 1 extra battery, no big 3, 92 degrees out and it was doing pretty good!

I'll either be throwing one of the 370a in here, or two of the 200a finish line alts that are currently in the suburban.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great man, glad everything turned out good for you.  Yea, I also have thrown a group 31 under my hood but having it sit against the hot radiator hose made me not keep it in there.  =(

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

1 hour ago, Karkov said:

Looks great man, glad everything turned out good for you.  Yea, I also have thrown a group 31 under my hood but having it sit against the hot radiator hose made me not keep it in there.  =(

Yeah.. I'm gonna leave it in the Suburban cus screw it lol. If something happens I'll just scrap the entire vehicle.

But in this new Tahoe? way too nice to risk damaging the radiator hose.

Anywaaaayysss....

Was going to just do the Big 3 upgrade today and drop a single 370A alt in, but I had belt slip on the OEM belt.

So instead of going to the store and buying a $30 belt, I spent 4 hours installing this dual alt bracket. (because the kit came with the belt and it meant I didn't have to go to a store)

2Kx9Xrgl.jpg

fkDsYThl.jpg

Went and did some testing, and prior to this I was hitting 149.5 dropping to 11V

After about an hour of testing, I finally eeked out a straight 150, but I had to do everything for that. Move the seats, drop down the visors, play the same song 18 times and clip the hell out of my subs..

RRJedYtl.png

Here's one of the 32 videos I filmed of me trying to hit 150.

Needless to say, I'm not really impressed with the new alternator and the big 3 upgrade.

0.5 decibels gain for ~$700? I'll probably end up selling the bracket and alt and just running stock.

Since this box is about 4 cubes over recommended size for these subs, I'll be building a new box and trying again before I sell anything.

Quite a bit has been done to this vehicle lately.

Firstly, I sold the dual alt bracket to recoup some costs, so I've got one 370A only now.

Then I decided I'd add another 112 aH battery, since I have 3 still laying around unused.

And I've always mounted my amps to the back of my boxes, but if you've followed my Blazer log, you know that I love to swap setups, and it's really annoying having to unhook everything each time.

So I decided to invest a couple hours into building an amp rack.

fWnOdkrl.jpg

r0Oe1Ahl.jpg

4UMhDzDl.jpg

The main reasoning was that I picked up a new box from a friend, and wanted to easily be able to swap it out.

HlCLGx0l.jpg

So up went the amp rack. Adding it cost me 5" of depth into the trunk, which was kinda hefty, so I don't know if I'll keep it or try to build a different one.

tsdTcZOl.jpg

YdD0kfvl.jpg

52vkw09l.jpg

This box is 29" deep, leaving only 5" between the port and hatch. I figured that might be a problem, but wanted to test it anyways since I love that octoport.

However, the score was mediocre, so it'll all get pulled and sold soon.

xZSaR3hl.png

I think my next step is a single C418 on the 3500.

That port is tight!

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

Lol the search for 150 sucks doesn't it!! Different boxes, alts, batts.... but you did at least hit it! 

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

17 hours ago, BP1Fanatic said:

That port is tight!

Oh yeah it's a beautiful box. It definitely has me contemplating building a new amp rack so I can gain back that 5" in depth and see if it makes a difference.

10 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

Lol the search for 150 sucks doesn't it!! Different boxes, alts, batts.... but you did at least hit it! 

In this vehicle the search only took about 5 hours of work lol. It was almost disappointing how easy it was compared to in the Blazer.

Right now I'm just trying to find a setup that has a decent amount of bass, but also some trunk room.

1 hour ago, RedFred said:

Oh yeah it's a beautiful box. It definitely has me contemplating building a new amp rack so I can gain back that 5" in depth and see if it makes a difference.

In this vehicle the search only took about 5 hours of work lol. It was almost disappointing how easy it was compared to in the Blazer.

Right now I'm just trying to find a setup that has a decent amount of bass, but also some trunk room.

Lol true... but to be fair, you found it then lost it again haha

I'm scared to meter mine. Feels like a 150, sounds like a 150, but always heard trunks meter weird.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 7:55 PM, YukonXL04 said:

Lol true... but to be fair, you found it then lost it again haha

I'm scared to meter mine. Feels like a 150, sounds like a 150, but always heard trunks meter weird.

I've yet to sit in a trunk vehicle doing a 150 lol. Everyone is on the SUV train.

Anyways, some small updates.

I decided I don't need two 150+ dB vehicles, so I pulled all the gear out of the Tahoe and put it for sale. Instead I'll be doing a center console with two SoundQubed HDS2 8" D2s, on a 2200 @ 0.5 ohms.

I'm thinking about swapping out the SQ 6.5s for some SSA Evils since they're on sale and a friend of mine has a pair that sounds AMAZING!

I finally put in the new headlights that were recommended by @reedal

dq2bbNRl.jpg

ERImHmel.jpg

They look sooooo much better.

I scheduled an appointment to get my entire front windshield tinted, so I just have to decide between 50% and 35%.

Everything I have read says 50% is pretty much non-noticeable, but 35% is dark enough that cops like to really harass you.... right now I'm leaning towards the 35%.

Archived