[Update 3/18] Another Boring Tahoe Build [SOLD]

Doesn't seem like I got a ton done today, but my 6.5s for the doors are finished.

Spent probably close to 5 hours setting them up.

Pods were purchased from CustomSpeakerPod (Brandon), for $138 shipped.

The first thing I noticed was that for 1/8" ABS they're really really flimsy, so I added some deadener to help give them a bit more structure.

XTGV9ful.jpg

Then, the cutouts didn't fit the SoundQubed 6.5"s, so I had to dremel the pods out themselves, and then dremel out the actual door panel to get them to fit.

zO0dfqnl.jpg

Yts7ltTl.jpg

They're held in by 4 plastic prongs and 4 screws. In addition to the plastic plugs, we added some of our own thread cutting nuts for extra security.

MJefvI8l.jpg

To run the actual wiring, I just spliced each set into the OEM door speaker, and I'll clip the wires behind the head unit to match up with my runs under the trim to the back.

b2GfdkQl.jpg

After getting everything away, we had this finished product:

v3Uoyw0l.jpg

lIgk9Nml.jpg

They look pretty good, and seem solid. I'll have more to say about them once they're subjected to 150+ dB for awhile.

Tomorrow I hope to tidy up some of my speaker wire runs that are currently just stashed in the dash, and maybe install my HU.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a lot more done than I expected to today!

First, this vehicle had Onstar and the previoius owner had installed a switch for an aftermarket horn, right where I wanted my voltmeter.

mDifcgVl.jpg

So I pulled that apart, snipped all the Onstar wires, removed the switch, and then mounted up my Stinger Voltmeter.

uioDZQol.jpg

Mb3nK6Al.jpg

While I was doing easy stuff, I got my gain attenuation knob in place

VxS8qCsl.jpg

Then I got some surprise packages!

mUv0tcfl.jpg

The dual 370A's arrived, and about 2 weeks early too! Really gotta step up my game now and work faster so I can get this running. Should have my amps and subs by Tuesday.

Then I pulled out the OEM amplifier and bracket, to prevent any future rattles, and to allow room to stash this rat's nest of wires.

sdhFPnIl.jpg

KloVZMml.jpg

oaPRMZ7l.jpg

Got all my wires spliced from the amp output, so I can use the OEM wires for the door speakers.

From there I moved onto installing the 80PRS.

Had quite a few issues here. Forgot to swap on 3way active before putting it in.

K5Sg5q7l.jpg

Then I had a hell of a time mixing up my 12V constant and my switchable...

After a bunch of silly mistakes, I finally got the voltmeter and 80PRS in:

Gh9xhJcl.jpg

Looks beautiful, but I can't fully install my dash because I either lost 2 of the clips, or they were already missing from the previous owner.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully find some of those clips at a local shop, get my dash fully put back together, and work on putting the 4 tweets and 2 6.5s in the center console.

haven't done much at all lately, because we spent the weekend in Illinois helping one set of grandparents move out to Utah

then tomorrow we'll be leaving to go to the other grandparents' house for about a week to just visit and help around the house

Managed to get the clips I needed from LKQ, along with a black spacer to replace the Onstar controls. My dash looks nice and tidy now?

RqEiuNVl.jpg

Then since I couldn't stand having a vehicle without music, we did one quick run of 2/0 through the vehicle just so I could hook up my Q4-120.

On00Eial.jpg

It starts at the battery (obviously) then runs up along the running boards under the vehicle. Comes up through the OEM subwoofer location as you can see.

For those curious, the runs I got were 25' each. I have quite a bit extra, intended to be cut up for the Big 3 and other misc things.

YOEsGJUl.jpg

In total there will be 8 runs of 2/0 in that little hiding spot, so it might get a bit tight lol.

So far I only have the 4 6.5s in the door, and 4 4s in the pillars, and it sounds great!

My sister is borrowing my Q4-90 until she finds her own amp. Once I get the Q4-90 back I'll install and wire the other 6 speakers (4 super tweets and 2 6 .5s in the center console).

I should be picking up my amps and 15s tomorrow hopefully, and then once I get back from vacation I can continue along.

Looks like this build will be getting downsized significantly.

I ended up buying a local Suburban built with 12 15" woofers in a 6th order B-Pillar, with all highs, mids, and amps, for less than the cost of my alternators and amps in this vehicle.

I'm thinking now in the Tahoe I'll just throw two C318s or something on one of the 3500s and call it good.

Guess we'll see how it goes lol.

The new plan is one of the 370a alts in here, 1 G31 under the hood, 1 G31 in the rear, 2 runs of 2/0 positive and negative, and an SQ3500 @ 0.5 on two HDC318s to start.

That being said, I picked up this dual 18" box for really cheap and decided to give it a makeover to be my temporary box.

FBtCFwel.jpg

8GzcngJl.jpg

sY5Gj8Ll.jpg

jhBRBnNl.jpg

It's amazing what a little bit of paint can do for a box ? Of all the ones I've painted, this one turned out the best. I really love that bright green to match my sub dust caps.

Then we started fabricating some fuse holders

eEOMWPfl.jpg

One right by the front battery, one before the rear battery, and one after the rear battery.

And here's what the little secret stash looks like

maOHNx0l.jpg

ZW56bP1l.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how clean the wire management is since the Blazer is in such shambles in regards to wiring.

Nice build so far! Where are the pics of the new toy?

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

29 minutes ago, BP1Fanatic said:

Nice build so far! Where are the pics of the new toy?

Link in my signature ?

Not much has been done to it yet though.. working on getting some new subs and better amps.

Boy today has been quite the journey.

Initially I wasn't planning on going to Slam since I didn't have anyone who wanted to go.

Then my sister volunteered, so I really wanted to have a vehicle with a system to drive, and I don't trust the new suburban.

So my dad and I put probably 10 hours into this Tahoe today and "completed" it.

In the new suburban, the previous owner managed to fit a G31 under the hood, so we tried it.

vlcQIBbl.jpg

It requires relocating the ECM or whatever, and also the battery rubs against the radiator hose which I wasn't a fan of.

I went and grabbed a Sam's Club Duracell G78 to fit normally, and we got the fuse block installed:

cwDAId0l.jpg

Ghetto style, with rubber flaps to keep it from touching anything

BKaGt3yl.jpg

Then I wanted to have a false floor, because in the Blazer my equipment would slide around and it annoyed me.

BKYEx04l.jpg

At this point it was about 8pm, so I asked my dad if he thought I had time to paint it, since the MDF was so ugly. His reply was amazingly, a yes.

It was getting cold outside, so I had to bring it in and use a heat gun to get all the splatter to dry.

ime1cGMl.jpg

K7E5dk0l.jpg

SsMokvFl.jpg

pw90QMMl.jpg

All settled in with about ~18" of room to the hatch. Plenty for a cooler of cold beer for slam and a backpack!

reuzXNwl.jpg

Then we spent the better half of 4 hours messing with wiring. Initially I wanted my amps on the passenger side of the vehicle, so in this configuration ALL of my speaker wires were too short and needed splicing. We also had to cut and crimp about 10 wires. Huge PITA.

0EiK4zUl.jpg

We sure had a helluva time making those octopus connections, and look at all the spliced speaker wires ?

r7UOW6zl.jpg

But nobody can see it anyways, and it's up and playing, and in about 2 hours I'll be waking up to drive to Slam!

Archived