[Update 3/18] Another Boring Tahoe Build [SOLD]

For those who are interested, you can find my old S10 Blazer build: here
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire time I owned that Blazer, I had wanted a Tahoe. And I wanted a C-Pillar wall. So I started saving.

My mom found the vehicle on Craigslist in Illinois. The guy was the original owner, mid 50 year old man, 160k current miles, great condition, very little rust.

1cynvGvl.jpg

oj6DEg1l.jpg

KOK2hsol.jpg

rO1wxLVl.jpg

Once I got it and started working on everything though, I got skiddish about running a wall in a daily. So instead I'll just be doing a standard 4 15s in a ported box build. Hoping for a musical 153+ dB.

Equipment List:

• 4x SoundQubed HDC3 15s (d2)
  • 2x SoundQubed 3500s (0.5 ohm each)
  • 1x SoundQubed Q4-120
  • 1x SoundQubed Q4-90
  • 6x SoundQubed QP-MR6.5
  • 4x SoundQubed QP-TH25 (super tweets)
  • 4x ScanSpeak Discovery 10F/8414G-10 (4" full range)
  • Pioneer 80PRS Single Din
  • 2x CES 370a Aternators
  • 1x Duracell AGM G78 under the hood
  • 6x UPS High Rate Max AGM G31 in the rear
  • ~150' CrimpSupply 2/0 welding wire (4 runs of positive + 4 runs of negative)

As I write this, I've got most of the stuff, but am waiting on my 15s to be built, my amps to be repaired, alternators to be built, etc.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I was picking equipment and whatnot, I decided to do some mechanical stuff and also get the outside aesthetic in good shape.

The first thing I noticed was the shocks were pretty bad, so it was time to replace them.

Old:

MABiHXyl.jpg

New:

VTvTmgIl.jpg

$62 well spent. Only took about 1.5 hours to install all 4, and the vehicle rides much better now.

Then I decided to debadge it. My techniques were poor, so this process ended up taking about 4 hours. I didn't take too many pictures, since there are videos all over the internet of how to do it.

RDTda1Wl.jpg

gAiAME9l.jpg

I really hated the OEM 16" rims, and the tires that were on there. Too much gap in the wheel well, plus they just looked weird.

My intent was to get 20s or 22s, but I couldn't find any with aggressive enough tread in my budget. Since this is a daily driver in Michigan and I travel a lot during the winter, reliability was more important than looks.

After I sold the set that came with the Tahoe, my dad generously sold me his OEM Silverado 18s + tires

46hcMMdl.jpg

From there, it was time to get some tint. In Michigan, ANY tint on the front driver / passenger windows is illegal, but my family has always had tinted windows and only been stopped 1 time for it.

After some research, I decided to get 5% over the stock 20% on all the rear windows, and 20% in the front.

NqNKwgZl.jpg

Od5h42kl.jpg

and a picture next to my mom's Denali:

BLQV4a6l.jpg

I thought she had 20% on her fronts, so that was my goal.

Evidently she must have 35%, because my front windows turned out WAAAAAYYY darker than I wanted. Since our tint tickets are fix it tickets if I get pulled over, I'll just remove the tint myself and get the ticket waived, then go back and get 35% on the front.

At this point the vehicle started looking a little more presentable, but still need a few more touches.

Grabbed 2 cans of Plasti-Dip and took to the rims. Also purchased some smoked tail lights and black covers for the back of the mirrors.

sLKv5Hjl.jpg

Had to make sure they were street legal, which in our state is red light visible at 500'

xxx8dj9l.jpg

Then I saw someone with a similar colored Tahoe with black handles, so I had to have them.

TAXcGhXl.jpg

2AlZ48Bl.jpg

All that's left for cosmetics is to install some new headlights, which I have sitting next to me.

When buying the Tahoe, I made certain to get one without a sunroof, because I've seen enough videos to know how those get destroyed.

However, I didn't pay attention to see that he had a fold down DVD player installed.

jNu7Wtsl.jpg

wPP4q3ul.jpg

I considered leaving it in so I could watch movies with the sound system, but decided it wasn't worth dealing with the imminent rattles.

So I started tearing out stuff to get ready for deadener and wires.

QONWyL1l.jpg

Gv7BHmtl.jpg

I never really realized how much bigger the Tahoe is than the Blazer, until I took out the headliner and laid it out.

UnVdt71l.jpg

I had probably 60' of Second Skin Damplifier leftover from the Blazer, so I was able to get 3 layers everywhere on the roof, before running out.

7JceUV8l.jpg

I'm currently waiting on another 100' of the stuff so I can do my doors, hatch, and some other places.

And here's a fun little picture of my messy workplace.

JjTOMrel.jpg

While browsing facebook one day, I saw these beautiful A-Pillars for sale from fellow SMD member @DavidClark (You can find his amazing build here)

XmNEy0yl.jpg

I knew I wasn't going to attempt fiberglassing this build, but I had always wondered what a sound stage would be like with A-Pillar speakers.

Let me tell you, it is amazing!

zMPwMxHl.jpg

I was worried these little fellas wouldn't be loud enough, since their RMS is 20w, and I'll have all 4 running on the same channel.

After about 4 hours of dremeling, glueing, zip tieing, and swearing, we got them installed.

I4c3uq7l.jpg

These stupid clips wouldn't hold, so we ended up drilling holes in the Pillar and then zip tieing them.

Then we had to cut up the dash so that they would fit better, since it was really really tight.

CaFCWOal.jpg

Z3llqBdl.jpg

Eventually I'll probably get a new dash and do a better job, or do something to fill it all in. For now it's good enough.

uIRIBFcl.jpg

6NY5KXUl.jpg

The next part is a bit mysterious.

During the install, I looked up and noticed a huge crack in my windshield!

gyHVrF9l.jpg

c0lPpHnl.jpg

It's in a portion of the windshield that has a tint strip, and I normally wouldn't look at while driving, so it's possible a rock flew up and hit me and I never noticed.

I can't imagine that I did that while shoving the pillar in there, but hey, anything is possible.

Since I can't find the crack in any of my previous pictures of the vehicle, I'm not really sure what the deal is.

I'm already in the process of contacting my junk yard buddy to get a new windshield.

For the moment, I hooked them up to a Pioneer AVH170-DVD that I picked up for $55 at a local auction. The plan was for it to be used for my backup camera if I walled.. so now I'll probably just sell it.

These little guys pack quite a punch, and the clarity is unbelievable!

As far as wiring goes, I'm planning to run all the 2/0 power and grounds under the vehicle. I have the wire, but am waiting for the alternators to be built before I go and put everything in.

For the other 8 runs of wire that I'll need (3 runs for the 6.5s, 2 runs for the tweets, 1 for the a-pillars, 1 for voltmeter, 1 for remote wire), I was able to fit them all under the trim pieces on the right side of the vehicle.

rWDoIual.jpg

sBfI2KIl.jpg

f4dpYDwl.jpg

n9tkDcFl.jpg

I6F0jwvl.jpg

MzFKmZPl.jpg

I plan to put the batteries right up against the bench seats, and either mount the amps above them, or under the seats.

And that gets us caught up to where I am right now.

My next steps will be to get the rest of my deadener installed, gets my highs + mids installed, and then move forward from there.

Looking good bro, as I said in our messages, i'm glad the pillars made it safe and i'm glad you are happy with them. You are well on your way to having a beast on your hands. 

Pioneer 80PRS

4 Scan Speak discovery 4" full rage

2 Ampere Audio 6.5 Comp sets

3 Singer 370 Hairpin's

1 Odyssey g78/34-P1500

6 DieHard Platinum Marine g31

4 XS D3100's

DC 175.4

DC 90.4

4 DC 5k's

4 m3 lvl 5 15's

Soundrive RCA's

Lots of welding lead & SkyHigh

Team DC AUDIO

Seeing these nice A pillars float around makes me want to do something with mine. Thanks for sharing all this, I am getting some really good ideas. Tuned in!

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I'm not typically a fan of plastidipped wheels but in your case, they look 20 times better....way to go!

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

Archived