[Update 3/18] Another Boring Tahoe Build [SOLD]

aaaannnnd build over?

my 4 years of college are finally starting to pay off and I've accepted a job in Southern California starting May 1

soooooooo all my car audio and eventually this truck are going to be for sale

if anyone needs anything lemme know lol

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

What mono amps do you have your looking to get rid of?

I had two Ampere 9ks, an Ampere 7500, and a Crescendo 3500, but they all sold.

All I have left right now is my lithium batteries (80ah homemade, 20ah JB, 80aH JB). Everything else sold this weekend.

Dang bud! Getting after it! Well congrats on the new job! Hope it all goes well for you! 

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

• 5 months later...
On 2/23/2018 at 11:01 AM, RedFred said:

Finally picked up my box and gawwwdamn is she a beast!

gPNChLf.jpg

I see you have tried a ton of different set ups, dont see any 4ths or a wall being one of them (in this vehicle), I see this set up put up pretty good numbers. However, out of curiosity, do you feel this would be louder/move more air than a 4th order C-pillar wall? or even just a c-pillar wall in general?

I picked up a c-pillar wall box locally for my 2001 Tahoe for $150, so I figured why not.. But I feel that this style box with no wall would tend to do better in these SUVs. Now I am torn between using the box I picked up or building something like this and throwing that box back up forsale.

Also, with this style set up no wall, do you fell the subs up port up worked out better? As I know generally for an SUV subs up port back is said to be "better".

12 hours ago, Ryan929 said:

I see you have tried a ton of different set ups, dont see any 4ths or a wall being one of them (in this vehicle), I see this set up put up pretty good numbers. However, out of curiosity, do you feel this would be louder/move more air than a 4th order C-pillar wall? or even just a c-pillar wall in general?

I picked up a c-pillar wall box locally for my 2001 Tahoe for $150, so I figured why not.. But I feel that this style box with no wall would tend to do better in these SUVs. Now I am torn between using the box I picked up or building something like this and throwing that box back up forsale.

Also, with this style set up no wall, do you fell the subs up port up worked out better? As I know generally for an SUV subs up port back is said to be "better".

In general, C-pillars usually aren't worth it from what I've seen.

(Excluding Blake Hunt / Mike Singer / a few other guys doing 158s+)

If you're going for SPL in a Tahoe, 4 15s on some decent power can easily put up 56s on music.

Subs up port back is gonna be the loudest configuration 95% of the time in these vehicles, however, there's absolutely no way to fit 4 18s with a proper sized enclosure, and space from the hatch, back there.

You've gotta sacrifice somewhere, so I traded SPL numbers for kind of a unique build (rarely see 4 18s no wall)

10 hours ago, RedFred said:

In general, C-pillars usually aren't worth it from what I've seen.

(Excluding Blake Hunt / Mike Singer / a few other guys doing 158s+)

If you're going for SPL in a Tahoe, 4 15s on some decent power can easily put up 56s on music.

Subs up port back is gonna be the loudest configuration 95% of the time in these vehicles, however, there's absolutely no way to fit 4 18s with a proper sized enclosure, and space from the hatch, back there.

You've gotta sacrifice somewhere, so I traded SPL numbers for kind of a unique build (rarely see 4 18s no wall)

Last question I have for you, and strictly your opinion, I know there is so many variables but it seems most people say its not worth doing a wall at the c-pillar vs standard box subs up port back. Would you say this is because the c-pillar wall puts up lower numbers (generally speaking) than a standard box. Or are they about even (again generally) but just not worth losing all the extra space and view out of the rear when doing a c-pillar wall since you could get about the same out put from a standard box?

If you're not sure or dont have any input on this no biggie as I know there is a ton of variables and might be tough to really answer well, I just figured I would pick your brain.

Thanks man!

5 hours ago, Ryan929 said:

Last question I have for you, and strictly your opinion, I know there is so many variables but it seems most people say its not worth doing a wall at the c-pillar vs standard box subs up port back. Would you say this is because the c-pillar wall puts up lower numbers (generally speaking) than a standard box. Or are they about even (again generally) but just not worth losing all the extra space and view out of the rear when doing a c-pillar wall since you could get about the same out put from a standard box?

If you're not sure or dont have any input on this no biggie as I know there is a ton of variables and might be tough to really answer well, I just figured I would pick your brain.

Thanks man!

I'd say C-Pillars aren't worth it because of 3 main reasons

1) C-Pillars tend to do worse than normal no-wall boxes in terms of SPL

2) it's still a wall, so no visibility out of the rear window

3) it's still a wall, so it'll be difficult and expensive to redo / swap setups when you inevitably get bored or want to upgrade

Honestly #3 was the biggest in my decision. I had designed countless C-Pillar walls for this Tahoe, and that's what the vehicle was originally bought for.

But with my indecisiveness, I like to swap setups on average every 2-4 weeks.

If I had to remove a wall every time, it'd get expensive and time consuming real fast. Plus if you go to seal off the C-Pillar with foam or something, you risk destroying your interior.

Ahh, makes sense. Your tahoe was sweet. This is the box I picked up for $150, I dont plan on sealing it off with anything messy like great stuff or anything probably just run it with the trim pieces in place. I dont compete so I am not chasing numbers or anything like that, will just be nice to say I have a 150+ vehicle. 

So I guess if it sucks I will pull it back out and sell it and build a new box. Biggest issue with this box is it takes up every bit of my cargo area so no room for amps or batteries.. I would like to find some captain chairs like you have and swap out my bench.74b8bad0-a49a-44a1-b9dc-06f8fa5b8110 (2).jpgca248024-0083-4bcb-97d1-cdf5a0ba377c (2).jpg

Archived