I want to add a second battery and second alternator

I have a 250 amp mechman alt. A kinetic 1800 and 0 ga wiring powering a RF 1200, 2 FI 12's and a RF 250.4.

I want to add a second RF 1200 so each 12 can see 850 watts at 2 ohms on their own amp. I have a spare Kinetic 1200 that can go in the trunk but the guy who installed says I need a diode isolator to add the second battery (  https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_61067_Stinger-S2402.html ). I'm still pretty new at this so I don't know how much truth their is to this. From what I've been reading you don't need a isolator at all to add a second battery unless you plan on playing music with the car not running. I've never done a multiple battery set up so how would I go about it? Do I need that isolator he's telling me to buy?

You don't need a isolator when adding a second or 20th extra bat. Don't listen to him anymore...,  and you don't need a second alt either. Add reserve like ya want and you'll be fine, more than fine for that power. Put that money in the system else where. Cheers and good luck 

1 hour ago, Kyblack76 said:

You don't need a isolator when adding a second or 20th extra bat. Don't listen to him anymore...,  and you don't need a second alt either. Add reserve like ya want and you'll be fine, more than fine for that power. Put that money in the system else where. Cheers and good luck 

Thank you seriously.  I'm nowhere near as experienced as you guys but I tried reading up on it and it seemed like it wasn't needed. I guess I'll have to find another place out here that's trustworthy. Last thing I want to do is shell out extra money for stuff I don't need.

2 hours ago, Kelz619 said:

Thank you seriously.  I'm nowhere near as experienced as you guys but I tried reading up on it and it seemed like it wasn't needed. I guess I'll have to find another place out here that's trustworthy. Last thing I want to do is shell out extra money for stuff I don't need.

No worries mate.

I hate spending money on useless shit. Money that can be put towards helpful additions.  You came to a great place for questions. Some very very knowledgeable peeps here.

Ask away,.. learn, grow. What its all about. Welcome to the forum. 

On 5/25/2017 at 10:45 AM, Kyblack76 said:

No worries mate.

I hate spending money on useless shit. Money that can be put towards helpful additions.  You came to a great place for questions. Some very very knowledgeable peeps here.

Ask away,.. learn, grow. What its all about. Welcome to the forum. 

I went out and looked at my truck and it looks like I could add two of those smaller batteries in there. Seeing as how I already have one extra battery there's no point in ordering it bigger battery I might as well just get another one same size. I was watch a Steve Meade video and it looked like he had a fuse as well as a distribution block for the extra batteries he installed..

As that all I would need, two in line fuses and a distribution block? 

Also, I turned up the volume today while cleaning out the garage and I noticed when it's really hitting it sounds like the mods and highs go flat. Could the voltage dropping playback role in that? The speakers are on a RF 250×4 so it's a pretty decent amp..but I'd expect that out of like a crappy crunch or boss amp or something 

The sub amp will steal current from smaller amps. If its doing that, you need to add more power.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

3 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

The sub amp will steal current from smaller amps. If its doing that, you need to add more power.

Will a 3rd battery help or are we talking another HO alternator? I have a 240 already and that was almost 450 dollars haha

Where are your batteries now? How big is the power wire going to your sub amp?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Im having a hard time seeing how, what your running now, would be killing the electrical support you have.  Your amp wired at quarter ohm or something ?

EDIT- also, what voltage drop do you have? Put a meter on it and see. That alt may not put out much at all at idle, but, Id expect the amp to play fine, no noticeable weird shit to the ear from low voltage, it would shut off if it got crazy low.  

6 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Where are your batteries now? How big is the power wire going to your sub amp?

Currently I have a Kinetik 1800 under the hood. I have a spare Kinetik 1200 in the garage that I plan to add asap.I have enough spare room in the trunk for 2 Kinetik 1200's.  I'm considering buying the second battery to have enough juice for a second RF 1200 amp. I have a 0 guage power wire going to a 4 guage splitter. So all 3 amps will have 4 guage power wire when it's all said and done.

3 amps, 0 guage to 4 guage via splitter, kinetik 1800 under the hood and 2 kinetik 1200's in the trunk with a mechman 240 amp alt up front.

Archived