Sundown Audio

Amp going into protect

graham0599

So I know there's a millions threads about this topic but I feel this case is a little different, at least from what I've been able to find. What I have is a Formula-X 5k. It's wired at 1ohm, gains set at -5db with DD-1. T-Spec V12 rca from Pioneer AVH-X4500BT to PAC LC-1. Same rca from LC-1 to amp. AudioTechnix "1/0", throwback to before AT became CT lol, also the wire is actually a 2/0. 2 pos, 2 neg runs from amp to rear batts. Each run is about 3' each. 

The amp is randomly going into protect and I can't figure out why. It will do it at any volume, any temperature, any voltage, just totally random. It seems to do it the first time after like 20+ minutes of just low/average volume listening. It'll stay off probably 2-15ish mins, come back on, then after probably 10-15ish mans, shut back off, and repeat. Amp rarely sees below 14v. At full tilt, it rarely sees below 13v. Amp gets plenty of air flow since it's raised and very open, A/C blows on it too. It's hardly warm when it happens, barely above car temp.

The one thing I'm wondering if is affecting is, is the LC-1. I don't know if they can "wear out" mine is around 3 years old. I'd prefer to not bypass it but I could temporarily for testing

link to amp http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/#/topics/202569?page=1

Thanks for any help

Let me know if I missed anything/any questions 

Is your alt spiking? I have a teammate whose amp would shut off randomly and turns out the alt was momentarily spiking to 15-16v throwing the amp into over voltage protect. And would almost happen fast enough where the indash volt meter (OEM) wouldnt show movement nor would the stinger vm sometimes.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Try different RCA's and without the PAC, I'd try that first and see how it effects it

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I don't know how to check if the alt is spiking, maybe I could wire in a temp. analog voltage meter

The RCA's are nearly brand new but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. I'll try pulling the LC-1 this week. 

I'm just hoping it's not something internal with the amp

Archived