[Sold] 2000 Walled Suburban 12 SA 15s in a 6th order B-Pillar

3 hours ago, BP1Fanatic said:

Looks good! I've never reconed a sub b4.

Yeah I was dreading it! I even paid a local guy to recone 4 of my HDC315s, and because of that I haven't gotten them even though I paid for them 2 months ago.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected though. It's even kind of fun actually lol. Grinding down the spider landing and surround landing is pretty cool.

Good job on the recone ! You're lucky to have all those clamps !

That car looks so...loud !

Have fun with it :) 

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

36 minutes ago, notorious97200 said:

Good job on the recone ! You're lucky to have all those clamps !

That car looks so...loud !

Have fun with it :) 

Haha I hope it'll be loud. I'm really wanting to see a 157+ today

Finally the update we've all been waiting for! However, it does come with some sad news too.

I'd been busy with family, Birthday Bash (a huge local country concert weekend), the tahoe, etc but finally managed to get the new amp rack and amp setup and all the subs mounted!

xZ8qAyel.jpg

I wasn't a huge fan of the retro fur on the amp rack, plus I thought it might be a contributing factor to the old amps overheating, so I wanted to paint up a new false wall.

NPbfE1Rl.jpg

OXkIszil.jpg

T44LAr2l.jpg

Since the barn doors are painted with blue gloss paint, I went with that style, and what I learned today is that glossy paint DOES NOT splatter like matte paint! It ended up looking like crap in my opinion, so I'll probably redo everything later. But I needed to get playing tonight lol.

E0kVEP0l.jpg

I also think next time I'll go with just plain blue instead of black and blue... I was trying to match the interior and it came out all wrong.

My dad and I called this the "Taramps Special" jokingly... but little did I know I had set myself up for failure and might need them.

iOgI1cSl.jpg

Anyways, drove out to the designated demo land, put on Young Jeezy, passenger window sealed, driver window open and boom!

wHWkXyYl.png

Easy 157.70. Then Ty asked about a sealed score, so I went to give him one....

You can see in the video where the bass cuts out.

Walked around back, opened the barn doors and smoke was billowing out. Amp wasn't even warm.

Voltage never dropped below 12.7V, and I'm pretty sure I'm wired to 1.4 ohms. (12 D2 subs in series on their coils, to parallel with eachother).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I look at it, I'm pretty sure that I'm just a huge potato and ran this amp at 0.35 ohms.

Confirmed, was running it at 0.33 ohms. If anyone wants a Taramps 10.9k blown for cheap, message me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some notes:

1) yes, I'm very stupid and very lucky I didn't damage more or start the car on fire

2) I had DMM'd my resistance at the back many times and it always showed above 1 ohm.

3) I was unaware of the "Ultimate Car Audio App" for $1 which could've prevented this from happening. The best wiring diagram I had was

KeLA0L2.png

and my dumbass went "oh 6 subs is 0.7 ohms, so 6 + 6 = 12 and therefore 0.7 + 0.7 = 1.4 ohms. we're good to go!"

4) tomorrow I'll paint the old rack and throw the two DSA 3500s back on. 

5) I rate my first Brazilian amp experience as a 10/10. That amp performed great, and if I hadn't pushed it past it's limits, I'm confident it would still be alive and well. In the future I'll not hesitate to run Taramps again... at a proper load.

Many many valuable lessons were learned here today folks.

You didn't verify what nominal load first? Especially running Brazilian? 

Ouch...  lessons learned I guess.  You'll need two of those to do the same number wired twice as high now. But, glad your having some fun. 55 sealed up is fun. Nice job 

22 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

You didn't verify what nominal load first? Especially running Brazilian? 

Ouch...  lessons learned I guess.  You'll need two of those to do the same number wired twice as high now. But, glad your having some fun. 55 sealed up is fun. Nice job 

Haha, I verified several times, but I guess my cheap $3 DMM is quite a ways off.

And yeah I know I'll probably never see anywhere close to that number again. Ohwell. It was fun while it lasted.

Also that's an interesting thought... I could buy another 10.9k and run them each @ 0.7 and be all set to go...

Archived