Sundown Audio

Possible to use two resistors in series to drop voltage out of HU?

L5hunter

So you want to be able to play a 4v amp on 4v and a 2v amp on 2v at the same time? If you turn the 4v amp up to play on a 2v signal, you won't loose output and it won be a different volume than playing it with a 4v signal. The gain is not a volume knob, it is used to match the input level and that's all. Setting the head unit volume so it plays 2v will mean that you won't be able to turn the head unit up to its maximum and it would be just like having the volume so you never turn it up to the point of distortion. It is normal to not want to turn the volume up all the way for this reason. And it won't effect the amps output because of the way the gain setting functions. Just plug in the rcas and let the amps do what they do. There is a reason that you can't buy something to plug in to do what you want to do. It is because what you want to do is not needed.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

42 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

So you want to be able to play a 4v amp on 4v and a 2v amp on 2v at the same time? If you turn the 4v amp up to play on a 2v signal, you won't loose output and it won be a different volume than playing it with a 4v signal. The gain is not a volume knob, it is used to match the input level and that's all. Setting the head unit volume so it plays 2v will mean that you won't be able to turn the head unit up to its maximum and it would be just like having the volume so you never turn it up to the point of distortion. It is normal to not want to turn the volume up all the way for this reason. And it won't effect the amps output because of the way the gain setting functions. Just plug in the rcas and let the amps do what they do. There is a reason that you can't buy something to plug in to do what you want to do. It is because what you want to do is not needed.

Oh, duh. Didn't think of just changing the gain on the second amp to 2v. But that was just an example scenario. The point is I shouldn't have to not turn up the head unit past 50 percent. What if I was using the internal amp on the head unit? Ridiculous bass with other speakers at half volume? And yes, I could just reduce the bass level but these are all ghetto fixes. The goal is to reduce the signal coming out of the head unit without distortion, and halving the voltage is the best way to do that.

Current "budget" setup

Car: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 bone stock other than some pimpin wheels.

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-117

Amp: JL 1200/1v3

Subs: JL 13W7AE

6.5s: MBQuart ONX 116

5.25s: Orion Cobalt CO500

SQ build (in progress):

Car: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab

Head Unit: DEH-80PRS

Amps: ???

Subs: ???

6.5s: 2 HAT Legatia L6s

5.25: 2 HAT Imagine 5.25 Coaxials

2 hours ago, L5hunter said:

No one particular amp. I have several older Rockfords, Phoenix Gold, etc. 

Believe it or not, my Fluke DMM now belongs to a random HVAC guy in Houston. Buddy thought that it was his, so he gave it to him. I'll have to get another DMM sometime. I'd also need two 10K resistors, I believe. I'll update the thread if I ever try anything.

Current "budget" setup

Car: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 bone stock other than some pimpin wheels.

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-117

Amp: JL 1200/1v3

Subs: JL 13W7AE

6.5s: MBQuart ONX 116

5.25s: Orion Cobalt CO500

SQ build (in progress):

Car: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab

Head Unit: DEH-80PRS

Amps: ???

Subs: ???

6.5s: 2 HAT Legatia L6s

5.25: 2 HAT Imagine 5.25 Coaxials

You didn't say you were using the speaker outputs. Hook up some resistors and let us know how it goes.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived