Second Skin Audio

Specific Box or 4th Order?

On 6/6/2017 at 0:36 PM, TechnoBass said:

That would be legit, no rush.

Sick builds on your fb page too.

Ok, here is what I came up with.  There are a lot of ways to lay these things out, this is just one way. 

1.3 Cu ft net - sealed side.

2.0 cu ft net - ported side, tuned to 45 hz.

Two ports 4" in diameter and 13.75" long.

External dimensions are 16" H x 16" D x 31.75" W.  All panels except the top and bottom should be 14.5" wide.

n4yucOO.png

XmVOEVC.png

Sub is installed from the sealed size with the motor in the ported side for better cooling.  The port locations are flexible, the idea is just to keep the inside mouths away from the sides and bottom as much as possible.  The dimension from the mouth to the bottom of the box is most critical and should be at least 4", with 13.75" long ports this will leave 2.5" protruding out the top of the box.  I would strongly suggest cutting the ports extra long and then testing the box to see how it sounds.  The tuning should be low, from there you can trim the ports down to bring the tuning up until it sounds good to you.  

Let me know if you need any more info!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

3 hours ago, TechnoBass said:

Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time out to come up with this. I really appreciate it.

Now since the ports will be protruding, what is the best method for keeping them from falling back into the box?

Getting an accurate cutout is the first step.  If you have a circle jig and router that's the best way to do it.  

To secure the ports I would just use some silicone caulk spread around the joint with the ports in place.  It should seal everything up well but you will still be able to pull the ports back out to adjust them if you desire.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived