Speaker Measurement and Active crossovers

So I have a bunch of drivers sitting around and I have a UMIK mic and have been playing a little bit with REW. Wondering what people use to design crossovers? (I also have X-over Pro and Bassbox Pro but am not super happy with the modeling results, could be I am too stupid to figure them out but I think its more the amount of time to build a design)

I was looking at active crossovers and with my SMD tools I have I could easily use an audiocontrol 2XS or something like that. Could I possibly use one of those in a home audio setup instead of a passive crossover? (I am looking at doing a 3-way vented setup and a line array as well at some point) 

I have NO experience with crossover design myself, but from what I hear a lot of people use Jeff Bagby's Passive Crossover Design (PCD) software.  You can get it here:

http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

For creating an active crossover, a Mini-DSP does a good job.  I've got a couple Mini-DSPs and they are awesome. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

10 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I have NO experience with crossover design myself, but from what I hear a lot of people use Jeff Bagby's Passive Crossover Design (PCD) software.  You can get it here:

http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

For creating an active crossover, a Mini-DSP does a good job.  I've got a couple Mini-DSPs and they are awesome. 

I just downloaded WinPCD which is bagby's excel spreadsheet so I am going to be messing with it. 

I like MiniDSP for crossovers but $205 for it seems a little steep but I may just pick one up to mess with. I haven't messed with the 2x4 or 4x10, for awhile I was looking at Minisharc too. 

Have you looked at MiniDSP for line arrays? I know you built the one fitzmaurice one right? 

2 hours ago, aculous said:

I just downloaded WinPCD which is bagby's excel spreadsheet so I am going to be messing with it. 

I like MiniDSP for crossovers but $205 for it seems a little steep but I may just pick one up to mess with. I haven't messed with the 2x4 or 4x10, for awhile I was looking at Minisharc too. 

Have you looked at MiniDSP for line arrays? I know you built the one fitzmaurice one right? 

You can get a MiniDSP for $80, $105 if you want it in a case.  

I did build the Bill Fizmaurice TLAH, I built it for a friend and he is very happy with.  It would probably benefit from having a DSP between it and his subs.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 6/9/2017 at 7:25 PM, Triticum Agricolam said:

You can get a MiniDSP for $80, $105 if you want it in a case.  

I did build the Bill Fizmaurice TLAH, I built it for a friend and he is very happy with.  It would probably benefit from having a DSP between it and his subs.  

I ran a minidsp between the power amp and my Bill Fitzmaurice table tuba.  it works great and easy to EQ as the minidsp has a plug in for REW.  

designing or setting up an active takes time and patience.   one thing I recommend fist is treating your room acoustics. I use an Ashley protea for my active crossover in my system. 

I ended up building passive crossovers using the HTAudio software Xover pro and have been messing with them to tweak them. I really like how the mid and sub sound but the vifa tweeters I have are WAY too hot so I have been tweaking an lpad for them. I am still learning

Also I bought awhile back a Symetrix Zonemix 760 which is a speaker manager for pro audio stuff but like the MiniDSP stuff it wants separate amplifier channels for each input. I am thinking of buying a Outlaw audio 5 channel amplifier for that or maybe some cheaper crown amps but I want to unload some of my crap first.

I want to mess with MiniDSP but I feel like the amplifiers will need to come first. I am really interested in FIIR filtering...but I am little worried about what I read about minidsp that its not really made to have multiple different units in a system, I am guess I would need a couple to run a surround setup. So who knows. Also I like the features that DiracLive give you so that's an option as well. And hell I already own a UMIK so theres that.

Archived