Second Skin Audio

doesnt smell like voicecoil....

the usual "when i turn my sh!t up for 10-15 mins or so, i start to smell something funny" question... except this doesn't smell like ANY voice coil or wire smell ive ever smelt, or could even imagine being a smelt. VERY different. it smells very much like silicone, or burning silicone... the dust cap on cone doesnt even get hot, barely luke warm, so i really dont feel like its the coils. i have gain set with o-scope.  the box was built by me and a buddy of mine using DAP Dynaflex 230 door sealant. wondering if maybe i used the wrong shit cause its seriously the only thing i can think of producing that smell. Subwoofer is a Skar zvx 15 incase that helps, maybe they known for smelling like poopoo.

absolutely positive. stuck my nose right in the port and damn near barfed from the smell. it really doesnt smell like coil... but maybe skar uses some weird stinky glue on they shit? idk im just so confused. especially after today, they played fine thru my 6 hour delivery shift. loud n what not.... then after i let the car sit for a couple hours. i hop back, in and half way through the second song ( both were in the really highs) i INSTANTLY smell it reeking the entire car. i turned the stereo off for about 15 mins, then back on, and nothing for the rest of my drive home (30 or so minutes). im just so confused right now, and really dont wanna burn up $350 sub. (i know its cheap compared to what yall run, but its alot for me). i know i am have big issues with voltage fluxuating and dropping bellow 12v in occasional bursts (depend on how my PCM is feeling at the time, i got one of those stupid GM PCM controlled alternator setups in my 06 yukon, and the rebuilt alternator is throwing it allllll out of wack). i dont hear any noticable clipping, and set my gain with o-scope, but again, my alternator fluctuates... a LOT.

Clipping. Even setting the gain with a scope won't prevent it if you play a song that was recorded loud. The gain setting is a reference and you still have to be careful. When my subs stink, I just turn it down a little.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

29 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Clipping. Even setting the gain with a scope won't prevent it if you play a song that was recorded loud. The gain setting is a reference and you still have to be careful. When my subs stink, I just turn it down a little.

My EVL's do the same when I play DJSNT or some boosted stuff... I'm clippin' I'm sure because I've got to try hard to get them to smell on studio recordings. My power is probably just under 1000 per sub and that's less than rated... but if I clip them... I'll kill them... just don"t slag your coils... turn it down a hair... Hey, maybe that stinky smell is a good thing? Seriously... If it's that offensive you'll be sure to be aware of the issue! A $350 sub is NOT one I'd want to burn up... $$$

Archived