Sundown Audio

Running a Level 5 15".....need some amp help/advice

JesseJames1984

I'm upgrading from a DC Level 4 with XL upgrade(12") to a 15" level 5. We all know they rms @3500, but I'm looking for a daily driver setup on music. Not chasing numbers or into competitions. It's going into a 2011 Toyota Camry. 

I've been told since I'm daily'n it, and jus going for a music build(tht can get low occasionally with a few slow n' throw tracks), I should aim for about 2500 @1ohm. I know the rule with underpowered subs getting bigger boxes and overpowered subs getting bigger boxes. But was told from a very good source tht what I'm looking for, I should go with a 2500watt'r in a bigger box and I'd be good. Im lookn for a few preferred opinions on some good/quality amps in tht range.

Also, if any has any input on how big my box should be,please feel free to add input. I know sub calls for 3.5cubes (ported)....but was told 5cubes minimum on 2500ish watts. plz and thanks in advance for ideas/input

I've contemplated going with the American Bass VFL 44801D Hybrid but havent really read/heard/found any decent reviews on it. Seems like a good amp for what im looking for, but was told it's not going to put out no where near what it's rated simply because it has 1-120A fuse in it. It's rated @4500 @1ohm but even I highly doubt it's putting out them kind of numbers, but would be happy with it if it put out 2500-3000 @1ohm. 

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_90850_American-Bass-VFL44801D.html

41 minutes ago, JesseJames1984 said:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/6171268458.html

Found this on Craigslist. I was told it will do more than rated but wont give me the 2500-3000 @1ohm tht Im looking for

That looks like a decent deal on that amp.  I know it doesn't put out as much power as you want, but your ear can't hear the difference between 2000 and 3000 watts anyway.  Just something to consider.

When running reduced power you CAN increase box size, but that does NOT always mean you SHOULD increase the box size.  When you increase power to sub, all frequencies get louder, but when you increase box size only frequencies around tuning get louder.  This means a sub in a larger box on lower power isn't going to sound the same as that sub would in a smaller box on higher power, and the difference isn't just going to be that the higher power setup gets louder.  

Whether or not to increase your box size depends on what you want to do.  If you are competing for numbers it makes sense to make the box as big as your power level will allow.  If you are more concerned about about having a musical system, larger boxes tend to have more peaky frequency response and generally lower sound quality, so a large box may not be what you want.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

56 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

That looks like a decent deal on that amp.  I know it doesn't put out as much power as you want, but your ear can't hear the difference between 2000 and 3000 watts anyway.  Just something to consider.

When running reduced power you CAN increase box size, but that does NOT always mean you SHOULD increase the box size.  When you increase power to sub, all frequencies get louder, but when you increase box size only frequencies around tuning get louder.  This means a sub in a larger box on lower power isn't going to sound the same as that sub would in a smaller box on higher power, and the difference isn't just going to be that the higher power setup gets louder.  

Whether or not to increase your box size depends on what you want to do.  If you are competing for numbers it makes sense to make the box as big as your power level will allow.  If you are more concerned about about having a musical system, larger boxes tend to have more peaky frequency response and generally lower sound quality, so a large box may not be what you want.  

Honestly, this build is strictly non-competition. I just want to be loud as shit on music in my daily driver. Mainly hip Hop and the occasional slow n' throw track. 

In your honest opinion, what cubes in box size would you recommend on an amp of tht rating(the sundown)? You don't think that 2000rms is too under powering for a level 5?

Google db-r. They got a bunch of sundown amps refurbished low power like 600 mono block to a 7k mono block or a 4 channel amp, just might be a lil wait. U can email them and see about how long of a wait it would be. The CT Sounds site is an affiliate here, its on the homepage of this forum. 

1 hour ago, JesseJames1984 said:

Honestly, this build is strictly non-competition. I just want to be loud as shit on music in my daily driver. Mainly hip Hop and the occasional slow n' throw track. 

In your honest opinion, what cubes in box size would you recommend on an amp of tht rating(the sundown)? You don't think that 2000rms is too under powering for a level 5?

I would stick with the suggested box size of 3.5 cubes.  That's the size the sub is intended to work in and if you add power later you won't have to rebuild the box. 

As far as 2000 watts underpowering the sub, there is nothing wrong with that.  To get the full potential out of the sub you would need a 5k amp or so, but that doesn't mean it won't work just fine on less power.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived