Second Skin Audio

Wiring (2) 4ohm subs to mono amp @ 1ohm

I had an installer, installed my (2) 4ohm DVC JL 10w6v3 that were already wired to 2 ohms from the factory to my mono amp by running 2 negs and 2 pos from the amp directly to the terminals on the box. When I asked if this was correct his statement was that amp would drop the load to 1 ohm inside the amp so there was no need to wire them to each other inside the box. Is this correct or should they have wired the subs together in the box???

49 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

Mono amplifiers only have one output,  be grateful he gave each speaker its own wire lol. Those two subs together can only be wired at 1 or 4, only way your gonna have a final 2 ohm load is with 1 woofer in parallel.

Not necessarily. Some mono amps are split enternally to give the user more flexability for the amp.

To OP, your installer did that so he wouldn't have to remove the subs to wire them to their correct polarity to the amp, for a final ohm load. If all else fails, refer to this diagram...http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Wiring+Dual+Voice+Coil+(DVC)+Subwoofer+Drivers/Tutorial%3A+Wiring+Dual+Voice+Coil+(DVC)+Subwoofer+Drivers/287544

11 hours ago, boomintahoe said:

Not necessarily. Some mono amps are split enternally to give the user more flexability for the amp.

To OP, your installer did that so he wouldn't have to remove the subs to wire them to their correct polarity to the amp, for a final ohm load. If all else fails, refer to this diagram...http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Wiring+Dual+Voice+Coil+(DVC)+Subwoofer+Drivers/Tutorial%3A+Wiring+Dual+Voice+Coil+(DVC)+Subwoofer+Drivers/287544

Interesting... What mono amps would those be?

20 hours ago, boomintahoe said:

Ok, judging by the diagram you provide, I would say that this is what I have. (2) 10w6-v3-4 that come factory wired to 2 ohms each, my amp is a CT Sound 1500.1D that's 1 ohm stable. Essentially dropped the subs in a box and ran (+ to +, - to -), giving me 1 ohms.....If not, then this is a bad ass amplifier and a must buy, because it bangs, even off my factory head unit, wired with the JL audio FIX 82....Anyway, thanks for the response, you have restored some sense of respect toward my installers (not much tho) as they charged me 300 to install my subs, amp and the fix-82, and 8 hours later I was told the fix 82 wouldn't power up so it was removed and an inline converter was installed, eventually getting things running but something was just not right because I knew these subs should hit, but they sounded like the worst subs ever so needless to say I was on my way home to rip everything out and sell on ebay, but after some reading and research I double checked wires to the amp and sure as shit they had one speaker ran - to +, swapped them and BOOM!!!, then first thing took the fix 82 to another installer, they tested it and installed for 80 within 30 mins and now everything is smoooooth. Cant wait to get a 4 channel and some components

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel

DVC Parallel-Parallel 2

Connecting the voice coils of each driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 1.5 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofers: 1 Ohm
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofers: 0.5 Ohm
Dual-1.5 Ohm Subwoofer: 0.38 Ohms

10 hours ago, boomintahoe said:

Go google some amps and you may find some.

I think your mislead, two pairs of terminals is not the same thing as two outputs. One can be bridged, the other cant.   Also, his installer didnt remove the woofers from the enclosure because there was absolutely no need to, everything needs to stay paralell in that situation.

Archived