Second Skin Audio

I'm new to aeroports, need help

TheGobot

I need some help, im building a box for my american bass hd 12. Im running on a jl audio jx1000/d putting out about 1200 watts cleanly on a 40 hz test tone. When looking for any information on building a box for that speaker, i couldnt find any. My speaker came with a spec sheet and that was it. I can post the spec sheets if it would help. The only information i could find online was that it was very similar to the old stiff style soundqubed hdc3's. Then when looking for those i came across a forum where someone said the optimum enclosure size would be 3 cubic feet net, with 18 square inches of port area per cube, tuned between 34-39 hz. Im just trying to find the optimum size box for that speaker for spl and sound quality. The box i have planned now is an aeroport box design. The external dimensions are 15"x17"x30" with a 6 inch aero 16" long. My question is ive never built an aeroport box before and im wondering what size diameter aero shoulf i use and how long should it be?

So here are a couple things to think about.

3 cu ft is a pretty big box for a 12" sub.  Bigger gets louder, but only around the tuning frequency.  This can result in a peaky frequency response, which may be good if you are chasing numbers, but may be undesirable if you want a more musical system.  Larger boxes also degrade sound quality to some degree.  I can't tell you what the "best" size box will be, but I do think 3 cu ft is on the large side.  

Implementing an aeroport can be difficult.  The problem is that a 6" port is a little bit on the small side for the amount of power you are running.  A 7" port would be about perfect, but those don't exist AFAIK.  Two 5" ports would work well too, and you can get 5" cardboard tube to make them from, but it can be hard to find.  The other issue is with the larger port area of a 7" or dual 5" ports, the ports need to be longer to tune the box where you want it to be, which may not work out well with the dimensions you have available.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Right now the box im running it in is an atrend box its about 2.25 cubes net tuned around 45 hz with a 2.5"x 13.5 slot port and it just feels like its starving for either more power or a bigger box but the problem is im maxed out on power unless i spend some serious cash and get a high output alternator and do the big 3 and get a bigger amp and bigger wire. So my best bet would be to build a bigger box. Would two 4 inch aeros be better?

3 hours ago, TheGobot said:

Right now the box im running it in is an atrend box its about 2.25 cubes net tuned around 45 hz with a 2.5"x 13.5 slot port and it just feels like its starving for either more power or a bigger box but the problem is im maxed out on power unless i spend some serious cash and get a high output alternator and do the big 3 and get a bigger amp and bigger wire. So my best bet would be to build a bigger box. Would two 4 inch aeros be better?

Two 4" ports is actually worse than one 6" port would be.  
Part of your problem is probably the 45 hz tuning of your current box.  You are giving up a lot of low frequency output with that high tuning.

My suggestion would be to build a new box with a large slot port.  I'd shoot for 2.5 cu ft net, tuned to 35 Hz, with a 50 sq in slot port.  This will get you much better low frequency performance.  Its a bigger port than you need on your current power level, but later if you choose to run more power you will have a box that can support 2500-3000 watts and allow you to get the full potential out of your sub.  Having a larger port than you need now really has no drawback other than it makes the box a bit bigger.  

If you give me the max dimensions of the space, and what vehicle you have I can give you some box dimension recommendations. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Im in a chevy cavalier 2 door so to say trunk soace is limited is an understatment, thats kinda the reason i was hoping to build an aeroport box to help keep the size down. My max dimentions are 15" hight x 30" x 23" and thats with me possibly barely being able to fit and possibly bottoming out my shocks in the back 

1 hour ago, TheGobot said:

Im in a chevy cavalier 2 door so to say trunk soace is limited is an understatment, thats kinda the reason i was hoping to build an aeroport box to help keep the size down. My max dimentions are 15" hight x 30" x 23" and thats with me possibly barely being able to fit and possibly bottoming out my shocks in the back 

You have enough space,  here is my suggestion:

hd12.png

Builds:

8 minutes ago, TheGobot said:

The only thing id be worried about would be access to my spare tire because this is my daily driver

Get AAA.

Seriously though, even if you were able to use an aeroport/s its not going to save you much space.  If you used two 5" ports, the box would still have to be about 18" deep, so you would only save about 1.5" and you would have to put bends in the ports to get them long enough.  Bass takes space.  

Builds:

Archived