Second Skin Audio

enclosure for 2x sundown e12

noxas

Hey all;

Just purchased 2 sundown ev3 12. The idea was to upgrade from my old set which was about 12 years old/ one sub blew and magnet had cracked. Still learning all the technical's while trying to build a box for these for the first time but to be truthfully honest I'm completely lost at this point. 

I've gone over the torres calculator and pretty much googled most definitions to get a better understand of what I'm putting in but I'm still pretty lost. I had also initially thought my trunk was bigger then what it really was and so I've had to go back to the drawing board when i thought i had it figured out. I've also been trying to add a port but that's not really working out with the numbers I've been playing with.

I'm driving an e46 and trunk dimensions from what I've searched are as follow :

Trunk opening is 40" X 17".
Trunk width (inside) at it's greatest distance is 50", and at its smallest is 30" (because it tapers, rear to forward).
Trunk depth is 37".
Trunk height is 17".

I'm trying to get as close as to recommended specs on sundowns page but I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Could anyone possibly lend a hand? I've attached a pic of what the trunk looks like as well to give a bit of a better understanding of the above.

trunk.jpg

That looks pretty good.  

How much power are you going to be running?

ETA - One problem I just noticed.  You can't fit two 12" subs and a 3" wide port along the front of a 27" wide box.  One solution would be to port out the side.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'll be running a mtx thunder 4501. I redid the measurements on the car and I'm sitting more along the lines of 31inchs.

when you say port out the side do you mean like this? This would also increase my total depth of the box to 23 as well right?

IMG_1066.JPG

Yes, that picture shows what I mean by "port out the side". Changing to that will not increase the depth of your box because the volume the port occupies has already been accounted for. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

So if i were to change it to these specs below would it allow for the port to be in front? The whole for the port isnt added onto the width right? Pretty new to this and still trying to figure it all out and how the port exactly works. 

Just to confirm as well; the port would be built like below?hqdefault.jpg

newspec.jpg

The port width is included with the box width. So in those numbers, box dimensions 30"w, subtract 1.5" for the wood on each side, and 3" for port width, and another .75" for the port wall, leaving you with 24.75" from the inner port wall to the other side of the enclosure.

At 30" wide, you should just barely be able to fit everything across the front with a 3" wide port.  

Builds:

Archived