Second Skin Audio

Engine noise!?!?!

I'm having a problem with my system. I just bought a 2011 cadilac escalade. I tried connection an amp but I'm getting a lot of engine noise through my subwoofers. I did a bunch of testing and checked a bunch of connections to find the problem but nothing yet. I first started off with an axxess line converter with remote turn on I taped into the factory subwoofer and pulled my power and ground from the cigarette lighter ran a set of brand new Rockford rcas to 3 Kenwtood (not sure what models) amps to 2 kicker 12" and 2 mtx 12" I grounded my ground cable from my amp near the seat but not to a  seat bolt  sanded and bolted down to raw metal. I ran my power cable opposite side of the rca from the battery to amp.  These trucks have a audio compensation system that auto adjust the volume to make up for road noise. I turned that off so technically everything should be good but!!! When I go to put it in drive I got loud  engine noise around 1thousand rpms. After I noticed this I sanded more around the ground and put a bigger bolt but nothing. I swapped out the line converter for an NVX eq has a built in line converter with ground to eliminate engine noise but!!! It didn't work. The eq has an aux input I connected my phone and no more engine noise. Basically if I use the signal from the factory sub I get engine noise but if I use my phone as a signal to the eq it sound good. When I use the factory sub as my signal I noticed that when I open the door the engine noise goes away  I can rev the engine and nothing but when I close the door it comes right back  and when I use the built in aux the engine noise goes away all together. I'm thinking I narrowed it down to the factory sub signal. The amps work because I got them off my old truck the eq is brand new the rcas are Rockford but the power ground are 0awg oxygen free sky high and the speaker wire is 12awg oxygen free sky high. Any one get this problem? Or anyone know how I can fix or clean the signal? 

What color wires is your "factory subwoofer"? You could have accidentally tapped a mid/tweet which has blinker/door ajar notifications with the door open ect. Verify you've got the correct wires.

On models with amplifier, the subwoofer 1 wires are dk. blue/white - lt. green/black at the amplifier under rear of center console, gray 8 pin plug, pins 7 - 3 (without surround) or black 8 pin plug, pins 1 - 2 (with surround). The subwoofer 2 wires are dk. green - lt. blue/black at the amplifier, gray 8 pin plug, pins 6 - 2 (without surround) or black 8 pin plug, pins 7 - 3 (with surround).

I didn't even think of that to be honest. Wouldn't  the signal frequency be different tho if t wasn't the subwoofer? I don't have a diagram so I used a YouTube " how to" video and if I followed it correctly I used  dark green and light blue of a 4 pin harness under my center counsel. Here's the link to the video I used and I followed it step by step 

YouTube tutorial: 

my tuck has the same harness and wires and I tapped into the same wires as the guy in the video 

• 2 weeks later...

Does it still have the noise if you turn the gain all the way down?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I have not tried that. How does the Gain effect that tho ??. This guy from a car audio shop told me it was something with a door sensor that I should try tapping my remote wire into something else. I only get engine noise when all the doors are closed as soon as I open any door or the rear hatch it stops 

Oh yeah another thing I have 2 low level converters and an nvx eq with high level input I'm using the eq as my converter. The eq has 4 inputs high level, 2 low level and one auxiliary all except high level work fine and don't give me engine noise but as soon as I switch to the high level and close the door I get enigine noise. Problem  is I have to use the highest level input because that's were I can get my signal from 

Sometimes when there is a small noise it can become a big noise when the gain is turned up. 

Pioneer 80PRS

It's just something to try. If it works then the signal can be driven with a pre amp to bring the signal up and reject more noise in the process. 

Pioneer 80PRS

Archived