Second Skin Audio

2 lethal injection 12s 6th order design

dudeogo

I want to put two lethal injection 12s in the back of my grand Cherokee in a 6th order. Anyone available to help? I have absolutely zero experience with 6th orders.

Stage 3 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

Amps: Something Brazilian

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your reason for wanting a 6th order?  What amp/s are you running?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

41 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

What's your reason for wanting a 6th order?  What amp/s are you running?

I really want the high output at a small band somewhere in the lows. I'll still listen to music on it, but I was to have those few frequencies in demo music that will kill. Also this is a temporary box for while I buy my other two 12s and I've always wanted to try a 6th. No power decided as of yet. Probably going to try to find a nice 2500

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

1 minute ago, dudeogo said:

I really want the high output at a small band somewhere in the lows. I'll still listen to music on it, but I was to have those few frequencies in demo music that will kill. Also this is a temporary box for while I buy my other two 12s and I've always wanted to try a 6th. No power decided as of yet. Probably going to try to find a nice 2500

What kind of bandwidth are you hoping to get?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Just now, Triticum Agricolam said:

What kind of bandwidth are you hoping to get?

Like 30-34ish powerfully and decent-ish from 28-60

The 30-34 is all I really give a shit about.

If I end up hating the output and it's not for me I'm capable of designing a standard ported box. But I've always wanted to give a 6th a try

Just now, dudeogo said:

If I end up hating the output and it's not for me I'm capable of designing a standard ported box. But I've always wanted to give a 6th a try

Alrighty, I'll see what I can come up with.  

Builds:

Just now, Triticum Agricolam said:

Alrighty, I'll see what I can come up with.  

Thanks man! Max dims 39 wide 30 deep and 28tall. If that's not enough let me know but that's where I'd like it to be if possible

OK, here is what I came up with.  I did two designs, a series-tuned box and a parallel-tuned box.  

First off is the parallel-tuned box. The specs are:

Rear chamber - 5 cu ft net - 27 Hz tuning - 60 sq in port area

Front chamber - 2.5 cu ft net - 55 Hz tuning - 60 sq in port area

Exterior dimensions - 39" W x 19.5" H x 27.5" D.  All panels except top and bottom are 18" wide.

BP6-1.thumb.PNG.b34db502c0b3aa5f1fd045835cbb68dd.PNGBP6-2.thumb.PNG.603cc4a5c4b20722b669ab1d05757272.PNG

Next is the series tuned box:

Rear chamber - 3.35 cu ft net - 28 Hz tuning - 75 sq in port area

Front chamber - 4.8 cu ft net - 59 Hz tuning - 75 sq in port area

Exterior dimensions - 39" W x 21.875" H x 27.5" D.  All panels except top and bottom are 20.375" wide.

BP6-3.PNG.08d3cb92175b68b198d6265615b344ef.PNG

Here is a comparison of the simulated frequency response curves of both boxes, this does not include any cabin gain, which will boost low frequencies output considerably:

BP6-4.PNG.5106cfa5e3946dfc3ca8d9bfed543dec.PNG

The red line is the series-tuned box and the green-line is the parallel tuned one.  Pretty similar bandwidth for both, though the parallel-tuned box is smoother.  

If it were me, I'd pick the parallel-tuned box since it has smoother frequency response, more output above 30 hz, is smaller, and is less finicky than a series-tuned box is.  The series tuned box will probably get you more output real low though.  If you are really feeling adventuresome you could build both and see which you like best :-)

Builds:

Archived