Second Skin Audio

2 lethal injection 12s 6th order design

dudeogo

Triticum, 

Would you say the difference in the response curves shown above are typical (in a general sense) when comparing a series and parallel tuned 6th using the same subs?  For instance, is a series-tuned typically peakier and less smooth than a parallel-tuned?

I was reading this patent on nth order enclosures and was curious about the characteristics of series tuned enclosures.  It seems in a series tuned arrangement (versus parallel), when the higher tuned side is played below its tuning frequency, the high-tuned volume and the high-tuned port end up becoming part of the volume of the low-tuned volume, which aids in low tuned response.  I was wondering if that phenomena could be the reason your series response peak shown above is more amplified than the parallel curve. 

https://www.google.com/patents/US7103193

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

Triticum, 

Would you say the difference in the response curves shown above are typical (in a general sense) when comparing a series and parallel tuned 6th using the same subs?  For instance, is a series-tuned typically peakier and less smooth than a parallel-tuned?

I was reading this patent on nth order enclosures and was curious about the characteristics of series tuned enclosures.  It seems in a series tuned arrangement (versus parallel), when the higher tuned side is played below its tuning frequency, the high-tuned volume and the high-tuned port end up becoming part of the volume of the low-tuned volume, which aids in low tuned response.  I was wondering if that phenomena could be the reason your series response peak shown above is more amplified than the parallel curve. 

https://www.google.com/patents/US2689016

The difference in response curves is pretty typical from my experience.  I usually can get nice looking curves like with what I got with the parallel-tuned box.  With series-tuned boxes its a lot harder, having peaks in output at the top and bottom of the passband is usually what I end up with.  Unfortunately I haven't built enough series-tuned boxes to reliably determine whether those high peaks in output shown in simulation are present in practice or not.  I know HornResp tends to exaggerate how peaky of response you will get with horn enclosures, in practice things tend to be a bit smoother.   

Series-tuned boxes in general are fickle, tricky things.  Adjusting the parameter to try to shape the frequency response is MUCH more difficult than with other box styles.  There is some voodoo going on there that I certainly don't fully understand.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Nice, thanks for the input.  

Btw, I meant to post this patent, its an interesting read:

https://www.google.com/patents/US7103193

The one posted before was for the 4th order bandpass enclosure.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

And for the interested, Mr. Bose's patent for the 6th order enclosure.  Really good stuff in here.  Most of it I have to read a couple times for it to sink in.

https://www.google.com/patents/US4549631

IG @walledsonic

Over a year of tinkering with my series tuned 6th order and my findings are rear tuning effects low playability at tuning and below...little effect anywhere else ...i.E with a 6in aero vs an 8in aero my 30hz-40hz score didn't change much if at all....BUT my 25hz(tuning) and lower gained 3dbs in some areas....front port tuning affected higher frequency playability....tuned the front port from 37hz up to 52hz and they highest it would play no matter the tuning was about 67-68 with the 52hz port and 64hz with the 37hz port...what I found VERY interesting is how much port compression plays a role with band passes in general...for instance my current front port area is 268sq I went up to 420sq in of port and didn't loose anything on the meter at my rear port tuning oh 25hz  and down and front port tuning of 52hz and up BUT 28hz-44ish I was down 3-4 db so it played exactly how triticums series 6th order graph looks....peak at and around its tunings,but as soon a I shrunk the port back down it flattend out and I gained the 30-40hz range back.... So It's all trial and error 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

9 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

OK, here is what I came up with.  I did two designs, a series-tuned box and a parallel-tuned box.  

First off is the parallel-tuned box. The specs are:

Rear chamber - 5 cu ft net - 27 Hz tuning - 60 sq in port area

Front chamber - 2.5 cu ft net - 55 Hz tuning - 60 sq in port area

Exterior dimensions - 39" W x 19.5" H x 27.5" D.  All panels except top and bottom are 18" wide.

BP6-1.thumb.PNG.b34db502c0b3aa5f1fd045835cbb68dd.PNGBP6-2.thumb.PNG.603cc4a5c4b20722b669ab1d05757272.PNG

Next is the series tuned box:

Rear chamber - 3.35 cu ft net - 28 Hz tuning - 75 sq in port area

Front chamber - 4.8 cu ft net - 59 Hz tuning - 75 sq in port area

Exterior dimensions - 39" W x 21.875" H x 27.5" D.  All panels except top and bottom are 20.375" wide.

BP6-3.PNG.08d3cb92175b68b198d6265615b344ef.PNG

Here is a comparison of the simulated frequency response curves of both boxes, this does not include any cabin gain, which will boost low frequencies output considerably:

BP6-4.PNG.5106cfa5e3946dfc3ca8d9bfed543dec.PNG

The red line is the series-tuned box and the green-line is the parallel tuned one.  Pretty similar bandwidth for both, though the parallel-tuned box is smoother.  

If it were me, I'd pick the parallel-tuned box since it has smoother frequency response, more output above 30 hz, is smaller, and is less finicky than a series-tuned box is.  The series tuned box will probably get you more output real low though.  If you are really feeling adventuresome you could build both and see which you like best :-)

You're the best man!!! Thanks!!!

Stage 3 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

Amps: Something Brazilian

3 minutes ago, dudeogo said:

You're the best man!!! Thanks!!!

You are welcome.  

I want to see pics of whatever you build!!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

8 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

You are welcome.  

Will do!

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

On 6/19/2017 at 11:58 PM, Triticum Agricolam said:

You are welcome.  

Would using a twisted sounds 1.8k change anything? If it does I'll pick a different amp.

2 hours ago, dudeogo said:

Would using a twisted sounds 1.8k change anything? If it does I'll pick a different amp.

I sized the ports for up to 2500 watts of input power, anything less than that should be totally fine.  No changes needed. 

Builds:

Archived