Second Skin Audio

Triticum's Improved Port Area Calculator

14 minutes ago, DLHgn said:

I did 11 more test with a different sub and the results change dramatically. The optimal port area now results in a a velocity in the low 30s while the minimum results in a velocity in the low to mid 40s. 

1 hour ago, DLHgn said:

So here's what i've found. Optimal seems to get port velocities in a range of 23 - 25 m/s. Minimum gets the velocities in a range of 32-33. By no means have I done extensive testing with different situations but I did 12 tests. I can do some more at another time to push the numbers more towards the extremes on both ends. The calculator so far seems to be pretty consistent which is definitely a good thing. 

Note: Test were done by using Triticum's calculator and comparing the port velocity graph of the Optimal, Minimum and a control port area. If I can find a way to keep people from changing the document I will post a link so y'all can see the actual numbers. 

Thanks for doing some testing.  This is my first shot and this and I may need to change my multiplication constants a bit.  I'm shooting for as close as I can get to 22 m/sec for the "Optimal" number, 30 m/sec for the slot port minimum and 32 m/sec for the aero port minimum.  

If you let me know what configuration is getting you results much different than that I'll see if I can replicate it and make adjustments if needed. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

39 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

and can this be used in anyway with a pass band?  and or band pass ?

It SHOULD work with bandpass boxes.  

I want to reiterate that I don't intend my calculator to replace using real box simulation software, simulation software is always going to give the most accurate results short of actual real world testing and adjustment.  What I intend my calculator to be is a easy replacement for when people spout off the "slot ports should be 12-16 sq in per cube" guideline, or for people who can't/won't/aren't going to use simulation software anyway.  That guideline is like a broken clock, its right twice a day, my calc should always be at least as good as that is though and 95% it should give a better result.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

37 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Thanks for doing some testing.  This is my first shot and this and I may need to change my multiplication constants a bit.  I'm shooting for as close as I can get to 22 m/sec for the "Optimal" number, 30 m/sec for the slot port minimum and 32 m/sec for the aero port minimum.  

If you let me know what configuration is getting you results much different than that I'll see if I can replicate it and make adjustments if needed. 

For the sub I used a B2 IS12v3. The link can be found here.

http://www.b2audio.com/is

All other info is on this spread sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KqDTURiuumMMO3uI_UCkyFxEj5t0Y-Vw3-YVsYiSFWc/edit?usp=sharing

1 minute ago, DLHgn said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KqDTURiuumMMO3uI_UCkyFxEj5t0Y-Vw3-YVsYiSFWc/edit?usp=sharing

Perfect, thanks! 

Builds:

12 minutes ago, DLHgn said:

So I replicated the test you did, for the Mayhem 12 I get exactly the same results as you do.  But for the ISIS I do not.  I usually get right around 31 m/sec for the slot port minimum, and right around 23 m/sec for the optimal port area.  
I wonder what's different between our two tests?  Is it possible you didn't change the port from round to rectangular in WinISD?  

Builds:

1 minute ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

So I replicated the test you did, for the Mayhem 12 I get exactly the same results as you do.  But for the ISIS I do not.  I usually get right around 31 m/sec for the slot port minimum, and right around 23 m/sec for the optimal port area.  
I wonder what's different between our two tests?  Is it possible you didn't change the port from round to rectangular in WinISD?  

I was definitely on square port. Maybe it's the parameters of the sub? I could've put them in wrong. Could you screen shot the parameters you have for the sub in WinIsd? 

1 minute ago, DLHgn said:

I was definitely on square port. Maybe it's the parameters of the sub? I could've put them in wrong. Could you screen shot the parameters you have for the sub in WinIsd? 

Sure can.

Capture.PNG.534050f834ebadbc87e59b9987bfdf4b.PNG

Builds:

I'm not sure what happened. The only thing really different is my Re and number of voicecoils. The IS12 has 2 voice coils and I used the dual 2 ohm version but besides that everything else is the same. I actually just noticed my Vas is twice what yours is for some reason. I manually entered the Qes as .59 but the Vas goes to 66.42. If I let the Qes autocalculate it goes to .295 and Vas goes to 33.21.

just used it. im aiming for 80-100" port area ( slot port ). the calc said i need a min of 90 and optimal of 123. 

thats a 7.5 net box, tuned to 32-35hz with 3k watts. 

dont know if it was asked but what about xmax? sub size?

dont those play a factor in port size? i mean with the higher xmax and larger subs you can potentially move more air.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

41 minutes ago, alaskanzx5 said:

just used it. im aiming for 80-100" port area ( slot port ). the calc said i need a min of 90 and optimal of 123. 

thats a 7.5 net box, tuned to 32-35hz with 3k watts. 

dont know if it was asked but what about xmax? sub size?

dont those play a factor in port size? i mean with the higher xmax and larger subs you can potentially move more air.

I know it seems like Xmax and sub size should matter, but really they don't.  I commented on those things further in post #30, you can see it if you click here.

Builds:

Archived