Second Skin Audio

Triticum's Improved Port Area Calculator

Lol this sounds dumb after I just said it should be stickied, but just so I know for sure. When I'm looking at the Optimal Port Area Required, is that equal to the Port Volume on Torres? And if I went by Optimal Port Area per Cu Ft, would I be looking at Port Area Per Foot on Torres?

Port.PNG

Torres.PNG

1 hour ago, IKnowImLost224 said:

Lol this sounds dumb after I just said it should be stickied, but just so I know for sure. When I'm looking at the Optimal Port Area Required, is that equal to the Port Volume on Torres? And if I went by Optimal Port Area per Cu Ft, would I be looking at Port Area Per Foot on Torres?

Optimal port area required is not equal to Torres port volume. Volume and area are two different things. Yes to your second question. 

Triticums optimal port area required is what his calculator is recommending for the optimal amount of port area. More is better, but less will be less than optimal for the power to and size of the enclosure.

In Torres "Port Volume" is how much space the port is taking up inside the box.  It an interesting piece of information to have, but it isn't relevant to how much port area you need, or tuning frequency.  

Based on the box size, input power, and tuning frequency you have you are going to want at least 57 sq in of port area, and 77 sq in would be better.  

You are putting quite a bit of power into that size of box and your tuning frequency is on the higher end of things.  Both of these attributes increase the amount of port area you need (compared to a lower power, lower tuned box), and this is why the "port area per cube" recommendations are significantly higher than the "12-16 sq in" we often see folks suggesting.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thank you guys very much for the helpful and detailed responses! This is the beginning stages of a box for a 12.2 HCCA on a Sundown SAZ-3500. It will be in a 2012 Malibu. I don't want to build in the trunk so it kind of makes size an issue. I will be posting for help in the next few days to get something going as far as a box. Triticum I see you and Joe X on a ton of enclosure "Help" posts, hope to borrow some of your guys knowledge in the next few days!

• 1 month later...

I looked into your new calculator and jumped through all of the necessary hoops to be able to ask this question so am curious what your reply will be but I have a feeling that I know what you'll say. Lol. Anyway, when entering net volume in the calculator since I have a 4th order will I enter volume for entire enclosure ported and sealed? Or just ported side? Total it's roughly 18 cubes, ported its roughly 12 cubes. The generated numbers change significantly from 12 to 18 so clarification would be appreciated. Thank you

Archived