Second Skin Audio

Triticum's Improved Port Area Calculator

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

I looked into your new calculator and jumped through all of the necessary hoops to be able to ask this question so am curious what your reply will be but I have a feeling that I know what you'll say. Lol. Anyway, when entering net volume in the calculator since I have a 4th order will I enter volume for entire enclosure ported and sealed? Or just ported side? Total it's roughly 18 cubes, ported its roughly 12 cubes. The generated numbers change significantly from 12 to 18 so clarification would be appreciated. Thank you

Just the ported section.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah for me to get the tuning I desire with this calc, my port would be so long it would look like a exhaust stack sticking out og my roof.  lol.

but its not bad when you are doing a big build and lots of power.  it close to a box i built for 4 15" dc audio xl's

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear

dc_audio.jpg

Really stupid question but, how do I convert the measurements to my application?

I will be using a 4" aero and it says I need 38 sq in in total..So how long will the port need to be?

Sorry, first enclosure build.

5 hours ago, blackrado09 said:

Really stupid question but, how do I convert the measurements to my application?

I will be using a 4" aero and it says I need 38 sq in in total..So how long will the port need to be?

Sorry, first enclosure build.

If the calculator says you need 38" sq in total, that means you really don't want to use a single 4" aero since it only has about 12.5 sq in.  Three 4" ports would work.  The length of the port doesn't factor into the equation for port area.  Length becomes relevant when it comes to tuning the port.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Antoni Čović said:

Hey, great calculator! but I just have one question: for "total input power" do I put my system clamped watts or Subwoofer spec watts? Thanks

You would put n the power that the enclosure would see.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Antoni Čović said:

So then clamped watts?

It depends on how the amp was clamped. Are you taking about clamped watts like what is done on an AD-1 (Watts into a resistive load)? If so then that would the number you use. If you are talking about how many watts YOUR amp was measured to put out into YOUR subs (watts into a reactive load), that number is going to be low.  The problem is when you clamp a system impedance rise is going to reduce the amount of watts your amp puts out, but it doesn’t reduce the amount of port area you need. I’m kind of oversimplifing things, but hopefully you get the idea. 

Builds:

Archived