Second Skin Audio

Triticum's Improved Port Area Calculator

On 8/16/2020 at 12:25 PM, THEMERQ said:

Whats the secret to implementing the given amount of port area and area/ft^3 while sticking to your net cubic feet? I am using the Torres calculator and cannot do it.

The secret?  Having no space limitations.  

Obviously, space limitations are almost always present.  It often becomes a balancing act trying to come up with a design that has the least amount of compromises as possible.  Unfortunately I have no easy solutions for you.  If you PM me with your specific situation I may be able to give you some suggestions.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to let y'all know, if you don't know that is. You can download this calculator and fully use it in Libreoffice. I presume you can use any office applications then.

When you bring up the link to get to the google docs. At the top you'll see a link that says File. Click file and go down to Download. I saved it as Microsoft Excel (.xlxs). Haven't had any problems using it.

Thank you Triticum for this. It helped me out with an enclosure today.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 7:58 AM, Brick20 said:

So on input power, do I insert power made after rise or what the amp is capable of making? For example Taramps md8000.1

Would I put 8000 or ?

Thanks

On 11/16/2020 at 1:26 AM, Chip said:

Is power output rms or peak?

For those asking, the watts you should input are the RMS watts your amp is capable of under ideal conditions.  So not what you get after box rise.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2017 at 5:01 PM, Triticum Agricolam said:

I'm sure most people here have come across the "12-16 sq in of port area per cube" guideline for slot ports and the "9-12 sq in per cube" for aeros.  The problem with both of these is they only consider box volume.  Both input power and tuning frequency, along with box volume, have a great effect on how much port area you need.  This is why myself and many others recommend NOT using those rules of thumb.  Online you can find several websites (such as carstereo.com) that have port area calculators using the formulas developed by Dickason or Small.  These have a similar problem of ignoring input power and these formulas aren't really relevant for our modern, high Xmax subs.  The best solution is to use box simulation software (WinISD, BassBoxPro, etc) to determine how much port area you need based on the specifics of your system.  However this is time consuming and not everyone has access to that software or has the desire to learn how to use it well.  I wanted to come up with something is quick and easy to use, and should hopefully give a lot better results than the rules of thumb or the obsolete formulas.  Here it is, to make this easy I'm using Google Docs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mwBK02mF-8BF3mxqqB8WG0H0GUbTmgQfpJODlo_0moQ/edit?usp=sharing

This is what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/FcalLoN.png

This will probably always be a work in progress, but so far I think it should work pretty well.  I encourage everyone to use it and give me your feedback!

ETA: Much thanks to SMD member aaricchavez!!!  He has revised my spreadsheet to make it look much better and be easier to use!

Seems like a awesome idea 💡. But by using this wouldn’t I be more or less locked into using the specific power rating I put in to formulate the port area? So upgrading my power would throw it off, or is that effect negligible?

Archived