Second Skin Audio

Triticum's Improved Port Area Calculator

18 hours ago, DallasBass91 said:

Seems like a awesome idea 💡. But by using this wouldn’t I be more or less locked into using the specific power rating I put in to formulate the port area? So upgrading my power would throw it off, or is that effect negligible?

So first off, the effect of upgrading your power would definitely not be negligible.  Input power (along with box size) are the two most important factors when it comes to how much port area you need.  Tuning frequency is also a factor, but to a lesser degree.

As far as being locked in, other than the additional space it takes up, having a larger port than you need has very few drawbacks.  While it is possible to get in a situation where you have too much port area, its a lot harder to do than most people think.   If you know you are going to be running more power at a later time, design the box for that higher power level from the beginning and everything will be great.  

Also, you didn't mention this but it comes up a lot so I thought I would cover it here, when you are entering in your input power, use the rated power of your amp.  I hear of people using how much power they are getting after impedance rise or whatever and that is the wrong thing to do.  If your amp puts at 2000 watts at 1 ohm, and that's what you are wired to, enter in 2000 watts.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived