Speaker Placement help- Tight quarters.

aculous

Alright so I have a 2006 CTS-V that has a factory Bose system in it. I want to build up a standalone system off of my Alpine 9886/7 that I have and some Beyma 8"s and SB Acoustics tweeters that I have from my last build. I want to be able to pull out the audio system with little to no modification to the car and I need some ideas. 

(reason being is all the information comes through the Caddy built in Nav like traction control and a ton of other stuff)

Its a 6spd manual and I have big feet, and the damn ebrake is a left foot style like Meade's in his lexus so placement if at my feet would have to be behind that...

Anyone have any ideas where a good place for a kickpanel setup would be? I was even thinking for a second about between my legs since thats about the only place where I have a lot of room. I am guessing along the trans tunnel is going to be bad for imaging. 

I'll grab some picks tonight or tomorrow if it would help. 

Imaging isn't even the first worry I'd have down at the kick panels. I'd say being kicked in would be my biggest worry, or just cheapening the look of the car. In my opinion, I'd say you'll have to make some sacrifices to make it sound like you want. You might consider removing the stock speakers and amplifier and using a DSP of some kind (like Audison's offerings or Rockford Fosgate, etc.) to "fix" the signal coming from the head unit so it's suitable for an aftermarket amplifier and speakers that weren't designed for the car. Idk what to tell you about those big 8" speakers. My first thought there is some kind of center console build. jat4011 on YouTube (designer of Jonathan Price's Hoe 4.NEO) has plenty of videos that might interest you.

- 2009 Toyota Matrix Base -

- iPad 64GB -

- miniDSP 2x4 HD -

- PPI Art a200.2 -

- SoundQubed SQ-2200.2 x 2 -

35 minutes ago, Charles Phillips said:

Imaging isn't even the first worry I'd have down at the kick panels. I'd say being kicked in would be my biggest worry, or just cheapening the look of the car. In my opinion, I'd say you'll have to make some sacrifices to make it sound like you want. You might consider removing the stock speakers and amplifier and using a DSP of some kind (like Audison's offerings or Rockford Fosgate, etc.) to "fix" the signal coming from the head unit so it's suitable for an aftermarket amplifier and speakers that weren't designed for the car. Idk what to tell you about those big 8" speakers. My first thought there is some kind of center console build. jat4011 on YouTube (designer of Jonathan Price's Hoe 4.NEO) has plenty of videos that might interest you.

Actually imaging from the kickpanel is better than in the doors. I have steel grills so it wouldn't be an issue. The problem is I need footroom and I don't have that really, I wear a size 13 and I am shifting so its at a premium already. 

old school: http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/showthread.php/1628-James-McKey-1994-Honda-Accord-2000-AS-amp-S

new school-ish: Steve Meade's ISF or SoundmanCA's shop mule and about 1000 others. 

If i remember correctly, the cts kick panels are pretty flush to begin with so i couldn't imagine attempting to cram an 8" down there that works with the e-brake yet alone your size 13 feet blocking half the speaker lol... It would be pretty awsome if somebody could pull it off, however if it were me i find it easier to slap those 8's in the door (factory size is 8" anyway) and go 3 way with 3" or 4"mids and a pair of tweets above the dash line on axis.

13 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

If i remember correctly, the cts kick panels are pretty flush to begin with so i couldn't imagine attempting to cram an 8" down there that works with the e-brake yet alone your size 13 feet blocking half the speaker lol... It would be pretty awesome if somebody could pull it off, however if it were me i find it easier to slap those 8's in the door (factory size is 8" anyway) and go 3 way with 3" or 4"mids and a pair of tweets above the dash line on axis.

Yea I am wondering about the mounting depth, the Beyma 8P300Fe is pretty deep but I may just get rid of the 8's and go with 6.5's I just don't want to hack up the door panel. From what I have looked at the stock speaker is a 6.75" but it has a sheel metal surround.  

I have some Fountek 3" FE85s that I could use, I would just have figure out the amp situation a little better.

Next issue is the airbags in my A pillars, which was kinda the reason for trying to put them down low in the kick. Never had to mess with airbags up front like that but I guess I would just need to disable them to mess with the A pillar. Or build a new one.  

3 hours ago, aculous said:

Yea I am wondering about the mounting depth, the Beyma 8P300Fe is pretty deep but I may just get rid of the 8's and go with 6.5's I just don't want to hack up the door panel. From what I have looked at the stock speaker is a 6.75" but it has a sheel metal surround.  

I have some Fountek 3" FE85s that I could use, I would just have figure out the amp situation a little better.

Next issue is the airbags in my A pillars, which was kinda the reason for trying to put them down low in the kick. Never had to mess with airbags up front like that but I guess I would just need to disable them to mess with the A pillar. Or build a new one.  

Ah yes you are correct, only the 08-12 come with factory 8" woofers.   I've been in this situation many times, easiest way without hacking up the car is making simple pods and double stick tape them up to the panels a piller or whatever. If you truly dont want to hack it up, you dont need to touch the curtain airbag.  Personally i have grown to love the on axis mid/tweet combo above the dash line & i think sounds great.  If you decide to go this route then find a good location for the drivers, tape up said location with painter's tape, then make a mold out ot fiberglass.

Archived