Second Skin Audio

Parallel 6th for team fi 18

Ernest

I'm needing assistance on how to determine the size of the 2 chambers. Do I take the largest recommend volume of 8 cf and split it up into...6 cf @ 28hz and 2 cf @ 55hz to reach a final volume of 8 cf? Or is the way to desighn the boxes to take one chamber at 8cf @ 28 hz then keep the other chamber with in the smallest recommendation of 5cf @ 55hz and have a final volume of 13cf ? It seems to me like the latter would unload very easily. 

I suggest sizing the low chamber as large as you can but still keeping excursion acceptable based on how much power you will be running.  The high chamber is then sized/tuned to get the frequency response you desire. Using simulation software (WindISD, etc) is mandatory IMHO. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok,thanks I was leaning towards having to do some type of modeling. I just was not sure on chamber size's, in other words it's not "just throw it in a box and tune it",I need to model each individual chamber. "What modeled best for 28hz then what works best for 55hz" THEN combine the 2 in 1 box. What is the relationship between the 2 tuning's, isn't an "octave apart" have a "great deal" to do with the tuning's? Also what about keeping the port area the same for both chambers?....I am wanting to learn. And may be building a cheap test box just to experiment. Sorry for so many questions lol 

50 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Ok,thanks I was leaning towards having to do some type of modeling. I just was not sure on chamber size's, in other words it's not "just throw it in a box and tune it",I need to model each individual chamber. "What modeled best for 28hz then what works best for 55hz" THEN combine the 2 in 1 box. What is the relationship between the 2 tuning's, isn't an "octave apart" have a "great deal" to do with the tuning's? Also what about keeping the port area the same for both chambers?....I am wanting to learn. And may be building a cheap test box just to experiment. Sorry for so many questions lol 

I would take your chamber that is for the lows and tune it to spec for the teams for cone control. Then go with 2 or 3 times as large for highs side (depending on the ratio you want) and then tune what you want your other peak to be. 

That's how I did my 6th and it played anything and everything I wanted. Also helped with a few other ones

1349713160_rte.png

29 minutes ago, rocking.that.eclipse said:

I would take your chamber that is for the lows and tune it to spec for the teams for cone control. Then go with 2 or 3 times as large for highs side (depending on the ratio you want) and then tune what you want your other peak to be. 

That's how I did my 6th and it played anything and everything I wanted. Also helped with a few other ones

Ratios don't really apply to parallel-tuned 6th order boxes.  Also the high side is almost always significantly smaller than the low side, its generally the opposite for series-tuned boxes.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

WinISD can model parallel-tuned 6th order boxes.  Its free and fairly easy to use.  You can get the newest version here:

http://www.linearteam.org/download/winisd-07x.exe

You generally want the tuning frequencies to about an octave apart, more than that is OK. You can go a little less than an octave if you need, but not much or you will start to get cancellation.  
As far as port area goes, there is no reason it needs to be the same for both chambers.  The important thing is that you have enough port area to keep port velocities reasonable.  Here is a port area calculator that can get you in the right area:

https://goo.gl/STAv4p

Builds:

Archived